Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Talk about faded paint
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ricky Dillinger
See User information
I was polishing up my hubcaps on my 50. Apparently this had not been done in a quite a long time because it was a chore. But I think that they turned out well for being 71 years old.

So for giggles. I put some linseed oil on the paint. Just to see what it looked like?

Surprise! My car is black, not battleship gray. I was going to paint it black anyway. I like black paint jobs.

Attach file:

jpg  Hubcap.jpg (183.29 KB)
224850_60625d65c5bea.jpg 1920X1078 px

Posted on: 2021/3/29 18:06
 Top  Print 

Re: Talk about faded paint
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
It looks too uniform to be weathered.
Perhaps they wet sanded it and had anticipated paint?

Slight possibility it could be cut and buffed out. But depends what rest of the car looks like.

Posted on: 2021/3/30 7:46
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ricky Dillinger
See User information
You're right. The previous owner was getting ready to paint it when he got hurt in a wreck and couldn't finish it. I'm just going to see what I can do with what I have. I'm not looking for perfection. Just to get it as good as I can and enjoy driving it.

Posted on: 2021/3/31 0:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I thought that was primer in the picture....

Posted on: 2021/3/31 16:30
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Ricky Dillinger
See User information
No that's the paint. The car doesn't have a dent on it. I just have to give it a CLR scrubbing and get off some surface rust. Then bust out some elbow grease and start polishing. I'm soaking the cylinders in Marvel and getting parts together. Then see if she will fire up.

It's a desert car. So it has little to no rust. Just the surface rust which hopefully I can clean up.

I'm going to need more polish for this one.

Attach file:

jpg  Packard Home 1.jpg (134.92 KB)
224850_6065021cec2f1.jpg 1920X1078 px

Posted on: 2021/3/31 18:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Makes sure the oil isn't sludged up.
These either have no filter or partial and the solids drop out in the pan and can dislodge.
Should turn by hand before attempting to start. Carb and fuel pump may need a rebuild too.
Looking at it in full view, it won't rub out where there's surface rust. But some may, and give the rest a coat of wax til you can paint it.

Posted on: 2021/4/1 7:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved