Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Pump
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I managed to get the fuel pump taken apart. I found there are differences as to what was in the kit I ordered, to what was inside the pump. The vacuum section diapham plate center holes had to be drilled to 1/4 inch in size to accept the new threaded push rod.

Also the existing valve cages are a one piece design. The kit came with brake style rivets to use to re-secure the cages. But since the cages in my pump are a one piece design where the cage and the center rivet are fused together, so I couldnt use the rivets from the kit. Those cages are just pressed in place. So I just reused them.

The vacuum values where in good shape and the rubber still soft, so I left those alone. Those valves are very hard to get out and replace. So the instructions in the kit recommend that you only replace them if needed as reseating the freeze plugs can be a problem.

I should have it all finished tomorrow. I took a ton of pictures and will be posting a how to article for those wanting to rebuild their own pumps.

I found that the bottom of the fuel pump still had old fuel in it and had the remains of various tiny insects. Not sure how they got in there as the diaphams where in good shape. Maybe they got suckup through the tank. Perhaps the tank sock is long gone.

Posted on: 2006/12/9 2:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Pump
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I got the fuel pump all back together. The rebuild kit came with a new arm pivit rod, and a new retainer pin. The only problem was that the new rod didnt have a notch in it for the pin to sit in.

So I just used the orignal rod as it was in good shape with no pitting.

I would have to give that rebuild kit a 3 out of 5 stars. Maybe the kit was a little more generic than I thought it was. But it just seemed like some of the parts were off.

My original diaphams were still functional but had lots of cracks in the rubber that I am sure would have failed pretty quickly with todays fuels.

So all in all, rebuilding a fuel pump is not a hard task. No special tools are required and as long as you pay attention to how you take your old one apart, they are very easy to put back together.

How to article coming soon...

Posted on: 2006/12/10 1:15
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
I am having a problem with a '50 double action fuel pump.
It isn't delivering much gas. I thought I read that there is a filter in the pump. Is this correct ? If so can you tell me where it is ?

Another question: The slotted rod that connects to the diaphram.There are 2 arms inside the pump that go thru the diaphram slot. On my pump these arms float around in the housing and don't appear to be connected to the main rod that goes inside the engine. Does this sound right to you ?

Do you know of anyone else besides Kanter that would rebuild the pump ? I already contacted them and they are a little pricey.

Thanks
OTGDY

Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There are so many folks that either sell rebuilt fuel pumps on an exchange basis, or rebuild yours. Among them are Gould Rebuilders and Terrill Machine. I've had 30 years worth of excellent experiences with Gould on dozens of fuel and water pumps for my own cars and those that I've helped service for others. Gould is in NY and advertises in Hemmings among other places -- I'd recommend him highly. Terrill is likewise highly recommended.

Posted on: 2008/4/21 11:32
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Check out this "How to Article" I did on rebuilding a double action fuel pump. It may answer some of the questions you have:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?122

Posted on: 2008/4/21 21:35
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Hi,

I checked out the rebuild you did and was still wondering

Another question: The slotted rod that connects to the diaphram.There are 2 arms inside the pump that go thru the diaphram slot. On my pump these arms float around in the housing and don't appear to be connected to the main rod that goes inside the engine. Does this sound right to you

The unit you rebuilt has a push rod attached to the diaphram and mine has a slot. Anyone have any ideas ?
Wondering if something has broken off. The pump appears brand new and nope I still haven't found the filter.

Thanks
OTG

Posted on: 2008/4/23 6:12
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Your pump is obviously different that the carter pump I have. Perhaps you pump was made by AC.

The carter pumps does not have a built in filter, but has a mesh filter screen on the inside, right where the fuel inlet is. You have to remove the bottom of the pump to access the this screen.

That is visible in the "How To Guide" I did. Obviously AC pumps are probably different, but should be based on the same general concepts.

Posted on: 2008/4/23 10:31
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved