Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 157

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic questions?????
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
Hi Guys and girls. I'm pulling down my ultramatic in my 56 Clipper. Firstly, in the pic below, i'm thinking this is my hi range clutch assembly but someone has welded it and i'm not quite sure why? Also when I went to bolt up my transmission (bellhousing to motor), it doesn't seem to matter how hard I try I cant get it all the way home. comes up about a half inch short and I cant get it flush to bolt it up. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated...

Attach file:

jpg  ultramatic.jpg (169.50 KB)
224796_606d60196c339.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  ultramatic.jpg (166.83 KB)
224796_606d608e896a9.jpg 958X959 px

Posted on: 2021/4/7 2:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Ultramatic questions?????
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes that is the high range clutch assembly and that welding is how it was made from the two pieces that comprise it. Access to the clutch discs within are on the rear side of that housing by pulling the assembly out of the case and removing the big snap ring that retains the rear cover.

Your problem with the unit not pulling up to the engine is that the torque convertor is not fully engaged in the transmission. There are three sets of splines that must engaged. It takes a goodly amount of spinning and pushing to get them all lined up and the problem compounds if any of the splines have gotten burrs on them from handling. When the the convertor is all the way in, its bolt flange is about flush with edge of the bell housing.

Posted on: 2021/4/7 4:42
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
Thanks Ross for the clarity. Will let you know how I go 😊

Posted on: 2021/4/7 6:10
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
All sorted Ross. I burred the small gear (the last one that engages). I filed off the burrs and with a bit of wrangling, it went home and all bolted up. Thanks for the tip!

Posted on: 2021/5/3 4:27
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved