Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 127

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Can synthetic fluids be used in Packards?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Torranosaurus wrote:
Many opinions on here but can I get a basic overall answer on what to run in my stock 55? Valve tick is pretty bad.

While it is good to follow suggestions on types of oil that have been proven to work well and might help the issue, with a stock 55 and a "pretty bad" valve tick I would wonder if all of the field mods Packard made to the 55 engine because of oil pressure and valve lifter noises had been done. If the car is early production or rarely saw a dealer after purchase perhaps not.

If the engine is not high mileage or excessively worn and mods were not done, there is a possibility low oil pressure due to the cam or rocker shafts allowing too much oil to escape is part of the issue. In 56 they also made another mod -- this time to the oil pump -- to reduce the possibility air was being drawn in and foaming in the oil stream.

If the engine is low miles or corrections have been done then perhaps your engine is one in which the oil pump itself has become the issue and is a good candidate for the Olds pump conversion.

Posted on: 2021/8/29 11:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Can synthetic fluids be used in Packards?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I tried various oil blends and 30-wt in my Clipper over the years and have eventually settled for 15-40 and my car seems to run great with no knocking, smoking, and very little leakage. Since I generally put 1,000 to 1,500 miles a year on the Clipper, I change my oil twice a year and the filter once a year. The viscosity never has a chance to wear down. And since I change my oil as often as I do, I figure I might as well use good conventional oil rather than synthetic, which is a lot more expensive.

Posted on: 2021/8/30 10:58
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved