Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil filter optional ??
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Ok so I was looking on my ‘49 and couldn’t find the oil filter . Figured it would have been up on top of the engine . After doing some searching I found out that oil filters were a option 😯😯?? Is this really true ? Gosh just can’t get my head wrapped around that ....

Posted on: 2021/4/22 10:04
 Top  Print 

Re: Oil filter optional ??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
An oil filter was only standard equipment on the Custom 8 (356 engine) as it had hydraulic lifters. Check the Packard accessory brochure in the Literature Archive for an illustration of the mounting position.

Posted on: 2021/4/22 10:24
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just to provide a little perspective: The oil screen on a Packard floats so whatever bigger chunks and sediment are down below it unless the oil level gets very low.

My 51 has never had a filter and is still quite OK as it approaches 100K. Oh, and all those millions of VW beetles never had a filter.

Posted on: 2021/4/22 11:51
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Welp , guess I learned something today 🤷🏻‍♂️ Thanks for the insight though ..... can’t wait to hear this old girl start !! Soon !!

Posted on: 2021/4/22 13:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Seems I remember some of the VW having a screen gizmo on the bottom of the oil pan you removed and cleaned??

Quote:

Ross wrote:
Just to provide a little perspective: The oil screen on a Packard floats so whatever bigger chunks and sediment are down below it unless the oil level gets very low.

My 51 has never had a filter and is still quite OK as it approaches 100K. Oh, and all those millions of VW beetles never had a filter.

Posted on: 2021/4/22 15:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
And if you had one, it was only a "partial" filter. A side stream of the oil was sent to the filter, not all of it. Pretty common back then. My decade later '58 Cad is similarly equipped(partial filter). Full filtration didn't come til '61 model.
Oil was fairly inexpensive, ~20 cents/qt post war and was cheaper to just change it frequently than invest in filtration.
Many people just topped it off at the pump and never bothered with changing.
I believe the shop manual calls for periodic scraping out the oil pan. Sump was pretty much a place to settle out the solids from combustion. They used to sell remote oil plugs, so you could warm up the motor and pull the "plug" and drain it while it was hot, often in some inconspicuous location, so you didn't have to dispose of the old oil.
Don't know how many of these leaked or were accidently bumped open during driving...

Posted on: 2021/4/22 19:57
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Yes my VW had a screen that I cleaned when the oil was changed.

Posted on: 2021/4/26 15:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
So I’m assuming that fuel filter was optional as well ? ...... with that where would the glass fuel filter located ? Down beside the pump ?

Posted on: 2021/4/28 5:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Adjacent to the carburetor fuel inlet. Take a look at the 1948 Accessory Brochure, the illustration shows the location quite clearly.

Posted on: 2021/4/28 7:28
 Top  Print 
Love (1)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved