Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 141

Packard Newbie, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1951 Packard 200 keys
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
Packard used two keys, one for the ignition and another one for the doors, trunk and glove box.

Not quite right. The key that fits the ignition also fits the doors and the key that fits the glovebox also fits the trunk.

As for the door key not fitting the ignition: either they are not a matched set or the key was not made quite right and is off just enough to fit one but not the other. Best to send them all off to be properly re-keyed so whether the ignition had been replaced or not, they will work.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 12:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don, thanks for the correction. I must have been thinking of more modern applications.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 12:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is from an earlier owners manual. The description for which key opened what was applicable for probably all years but definitely postwar. I believe the only difference to later keys is the sort of oval head for trunk and glovebox was superseded by an octagonal shaped head.

Attach file:

jpg  key.jpg (120.31 KB)
209_6085acf91d16e.jpg 900X840 px

Posted on: 2021/4/25 12:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
With these cars the age that they are, I bet it is a tall order to find them with original and matching door/ignition locks. As Ernie says, Ace has a blank that will work and I did get an extra key cut there, that works, but a locksmith friend of mine, who has since passed, told me the blank WAS a specific and not common key. He had a few and made me some spares and they fit beautifully. FWIW, the ONLY lock that worked on my car when I got it was the ignition and I have since found and replaced the door lock with a good, working specimen, although it doesn't match the ignition. I've yet to tackle the glove box and the trunk. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 14:03
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
NJB

This thread dealt with lost keys:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=15372&order=ASC&status=&mode=0

Owen noted that Briggs & Stratton P1251 to P1500 keys are what Packard specified. If you have a worn key he still should be able to make new keys.

Check the shop manual section for instructions on how to remove the ignition switch or there may be a method to remove just the tumbler insert for your locksmith.

Steve

Posted on: 2021/4/25 16:29
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm not sure but I believe that removing the tumbler by itself requires the key but I believe that the switch must be removed in order to do so. A locksmith has the tools to do it without a key.

As for removing the switch, as I recall one simply holds the bezel and the switch at the same time and the bezel comes off my turning by hand. It takes just a partial turn (probably counter-clockwise) to get it off, then the wires must be disconnected. Disconnect the cable from the battery first, of course.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 18:11
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
NJB, the ignition and trunk keys come from the same series (same blank) and for all Packards between 1935 and 1956 only 250 different keys were used. So if you've got several old time Packard owners in your area who each have owned a number of cars over the years and kept extra keys, your chances are good of getting a fit.

I've only got about two dozen Packard keys yet over the years I've managed to provide a key fit quite a few times. So making contact with local Packard folk may be an easy way out.

Posted on: 2021/4/25 18:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have since had some experience in this very question by total co-incidence. Take out the ignition switch and take it to a locksmith. They can easily remove the lock from it, then have them make the key to the code that is stamped on the side of the lock. The code may not be readily visible and on mine it took thorough cleaning, then light filing with a points file to make it readable but once I was able to read it, they made the key in under five minutes!

Attach file:

jpeg  727B092D-3A2F-400D-BABA-2D117E28356C.jpeg (66.44 KB)
60923_617ec75a0036c.jpeg 1112X800 px

Posted on: 2021/10/31 11:42
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved