Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Recent Comments
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 116

Let the ride decide, bmartinak , Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal

53 Clipper Brake fluid and anti-seize
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tall Steve
See User information
I was going to use dot 3 to service my brake system. Notice that I have synthetic dot 3. Is that ok to use? Or should I find non-synthetic?

Also what is recommended to use on the star adjusters for the brake shoes? Looking for something to use as an anti seize for that.

Posted on: 5/4 15:30
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
2004 Corvette Convertible
1969 Corvette Stingray
All kinds of dreams!
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 Clipper Brake fluid and anti-seize
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not just step up a click and go to DOT 4? Fully compatible with any residues of DOT 3, but offers somewhat better characteristics, including a higher boiling point.

Sure, by all means use some never-sieze type product on the starwheel threads! Absolutely. Just take care not to get any on the brake lining and drum surfaces.

Posted on: 5/4 16:02
 Top  Print 

Re: 53 Clipper Brake fluid and anti-seize
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardDon
See User information
I use DOT 4 synthetic is all my vintage cars and never a problem. Some say it could damage the brake light switch but I’ve never had that happen but if it did, on a Packard such as yours they are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Sometimes I use Molycote (?) on the star adjuster or even just easy to find disc brake anti-squeak grease.

Posted on: 5/4 18:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
1931 Packard touring car, right side view, top raised
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved