Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
25 user(s) are online (21 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Voltage Regulator 1947
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
Just installed fourth voltage regulator.
Echlin VR45. Hope it works.

Four different brands, but appeared identical. Previous "Standard Ignition" cutout failed. First two unreliable charging control.

I would stockpile OEM Autolite if found.

Posted on: 2021/5/6 21:25
 Top  Print 

Re: Voltage Regulator 1947
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Brillman makes quality ones guaranteed for a year.

Posted on: 2021/5/6 21:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Usually, when you change a part and use several different brands and get the same failure, something else is wrong. Could be wiring, generator, or gauge, etc..
My friend went through 6 alternators on his truck and I asked him why the service guys hadn't caught on to look for something else. I'd been collecting scalps after 2!
Make sure you read the procedure and properly polarize.

Posted on: 2021/5/7 19:14
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
Two were unreliable charging. One was cut off stopped working.

Posted on: 2021/5/8 15:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I have modern gel batteries. They went bad, so kept demanding juice from the generator via the VR, which burned it out. This is less likely with acid batteries.

Also the VR needs a strong ground. If the ground screw to the cowl is loose or not metal on metal, painted or rusted surfaces, that causes VR problems, too.

Posted on: 2021/5/8 16:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
"Unreliable charging" isn't very informative if you wanted us to start thinking about diagnoses. If that's what you wish, I'd want to verify that the regulators that failed were properly matched to the specific generator. Also, still positive ground? System polarized after installation? Good solid grounds?

Posted on: 2021/5/8 17:46
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

rowand
See User information
Thanks. All work done by one of the most experienced mechanics for collector cars in Florida, so sure the voltage regulators were defective.
First one kept generator from suffiently charging, but don't recall details. Second one would not allow generator to charge after cold start until after about 10 miles suddenly went to max charge on ammeter. Ammeter would previously show discharge with lights on.
Third one after about 100 miles, cut off control failed when car shut down, with obvious results.
Hope the new one works. Would buy NOS as standby if available.

Posted on: 2021/5/10 11:03
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved