Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

48 Ignition switch
Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed
See User information
Can anyone tell me how to remove the keyed tumbler from the ignition switch on a 48 Eight? I have changed the switch, and now need to install the tumbler in the new switch. Thanks.

Posted on: 2021/5/8 17:16
 Top  Print 

Re: 48 Ignition switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the 48 22nd series switch is the same as the 46-7 but with a terminal for the coil wire instead of the wire being inside the armored cable. If so try removing the cylinder the same way as the earlier switch.

If you have a key insert it and turn the cylinder to the on position. Use a punch or large paperclip that will fit inside the hole on the side of the case. Insert it and push in against a spring loaded retaining clip on the cylinder. When the clip feels like it has moved then continue pressure and at the same time grasp the key and jiggle the cylinder as you pull the cylinder out. It may take a try or two as the mating between the punch and clip can be fussy when lining up.

If there is no key then it will require CAREFULLY drilling a second hole the same size as the original in the case at the position the cylinder retaining clip will be when the switch is off. For a 46-7 switch distance will be 5/8" away from the original hole and must be exactly the same distance from the edge of the switch so it will be directly over the retaining clip groove. Because you will also be directly over the retaining clip use extreme care to control the drill and not drill deeply enough the sudden breakthru of the bit will damage the clip. Removal of the cylinder is the same except there is no key to hold onto so you will need some dexterity in grasping the end of the cylinder to pull it out.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2195.jpg (28.74 KB)
209_60971537bef49.jpg 551X559 px

jpeg  IMG_2087.jpeg (61.83 KB)
209_60971557a66d4.jpeg 858X741 px

Posted on: 2021/5/8 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ed,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your '47 Eight in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/8 18:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed
See User information
Howard, you are everywhere! Thanks for sharing the knowledge. Ed

Posted on: 2021/5/9 14:33
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed
See User information
I registered my 48 Eight as best I could. Some things I am not yet familiar with, but will update as I learn. Feel free to advise me if things don't look right to you. Ed

Posted on: 2021/5/9 14:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Ed(1955DeSoto),
for including your '48 Standard Eight Station Sedan in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/9 17:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed
See User information
I would like to update my 48 Packard entry in the vehicle registry. I cannot figure out how to do that. I can't even find it there. Ed

Posted on: 2021/5/19 17:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Ed,

Post #6, above, has a link in it to your '48 S/Wagon. Just click on the link and it'll take you straight to your Packard! Once there you can click on the "Make Changes" field in the lower left corner of the entry. Then "Bob's your uncle"!

Maybe the reason you coudn't find in the Registry is that your present "Forum Name" of Ed differs from the "Forum Name" of 1955DeSoto against the Registry entry itself. This came about a few months back when the Website was updated and some links were lost in the process.

Happy updating of your Registry entry.

Posted on: 2021/5/19 18:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Ed
See User information
Thanks again. I found it ok and added theft proof number. Also, it is showing a station sedan, mine is a touring sedan. Not sure how to change the picture.

Posted on: 2021/5/21 19:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ed wrote:....it is showing a station sedan, mine is a touring sedan. Not sure how to change the picture.
Ed,

Two things, first your Packard was listed in the Registry with a Model Number pf 2293. ie a Standard Eight Station Sedan. So after your advice that it actually is a Touring Sedan, I've changed the 2293 to 2292.

Second, to add a picture, again go the "Make Changes" field. Then select the "Choose File" button near the foot of the page. Select your picture from one you've already saved on your device and add it to your Registry entry. Don't forget to click the "Save Changes" button. This time it's then "Fanny's your aunt".

Posted on: 2021/5/21 19:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved