Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 100

kevinpackard, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Garage Lift Recommendations
Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

Packard Newbie wrote:
Hi MJG,

Looks like you have done a stellar job on framing up your garage! Very nice. I am still a ways out on starting mine as I purchased additional property beside us to have room for it, only to find out I must amalgamate the lots before being issued a building permit, and a full land survey is required, costing thousands of dollars. %&@#$#!! Oh well, is what it is and one can't fight 'town hall'.
I have grappled with the hoist/no hoist question ad nauseum, and at the end of the day, I am tending to agree with Fish'nJim that for all the ceiling height and extra concrete, I am probably further ahead taking the car to a local garage and renting a bay for the relatively infrequent times I'll need to be under the car working. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have one - just am having trouble 'getting there' as far as expense and structural add-ons needed to be able to 'push that button'. I don't know what building materials are doing stateside. but an 8' 2X4 is running between $10 & $12 up here right now, and all I see ahead, post Covid, is economic disaster. I sure like your building though! Chris.

Thanks for the kind words Chris! It's been a bear. I was quoted some terrible prices for truss erection and framing. It was nice to be able to say thanks but no thanks I'll do it. Tools were clutch: Wall jacks, Genie Superlift and scissor lift. I had the same problem with my lots. My property is two lots that were never combined, took me a year to get everything to be a go.. I feel your pain. Don't do a thing right now if you don't have to; OSB has gone up almost 40% since I started. My roofer hit me with a $1,500 increase in just 1.5 months... it's legit, I looked it up. I have no doubt my build would be at least $20-30k more if I started from scratch today - with me doing most of it. When I talked to my roofer today he stated builders are paying over market and cash right now for materials. I will never do a project in an economy like this ever again but, storage units were hitting me just as hard.

Mike

Posted on: 2021/5/14 13:05
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I hate to admit how right Fish’n Jim is. I think those of us with low headroom garages should temper our shop equipment dreams and aspirations. I guess it’s ‘head out of the clouds’, and back on the cardboard for me. I did a quick calculation that if I jacked my car up once a week and made a $10 contribution to a garage lift fund, it would take more than 7.5 years for the fund to have enough money to actually buy a lift. Does anyone know the driving distance from Arizona to MJG’s garage? That’s my dream of a man cave . . . I never figured out how to keep the junk (valuable New England family heirlooms) from getting in the way.
dp

Posted on: 2021/5/15 17:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

MJG
See User information
Quote:

DavidPackard wrote:
I hate to admit how right Fish’n Jim is. I think those of us with low headroom garages should temper our shop equipment dreams and aspirations. I guess it’s ‘head out of the clouds’, and back on the cardboard for me. I did a quick calculation that if I jacked my car up once a week and made a $10 contribution to a garage lift fund, it would take more than 7.5 years for the fund to have enough money to actually buy a lift. Does anyone know the driving distance from Arizona to MJG’s garage? That’s my dream of a man cave . . . I never figured out how to keep the junk (valuable New England family heirlooms) from getting in the way.
dp

Hey David, You would be most welcome but it is haul from Arizona.. I'm about an hour and fifteen northeast of ATL. Wish I had more car buddies around here. One thing I miss about the NE is the car culture.

It's been my dream and nightmare. My first location was rejected since I'm in an environmentally sensitive area and I need a lot of land reserved for future septic. The location it is in now needed 17 trucks of fill and a ton of concrete as the slope in that areas is about 25%. I've written many IOU's to my wife!

I wouldn't give up looking at options for working off the ground based on a ceiling height. I've had a couple friends with 10' ceilings that have purchased lifts and use them.. not optimal but it does help you a bit. Just this morning I was replacing the headlight bulb on our Honda. Of course, it slips out of my hand into the wheel well and here I am rolling around on the ground trying to get it out. Told myself this is why you want that lift and a second later it occurred to me I would never have put it on the lift to replace a headlight bulb in the first place so I would have been rolling around on the ground anyway!

Mike

Posted on: 2021/5/15 20:46
1948 Custom Eight Victoria Convertible
Others:
1941 Cadillac Series 62 Deluxe Convertible Coupe
1956 Oldsmobile 88 Sedan
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved