Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 132

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Wiring Diagram for R-6 Overdrive
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I do appreciate the 30 mph in reverse comment, and if the chassis could get there the throttle switch would likely trip the circuit anyway. I equally appreciate the belts and suspenders comment, but ‘belts and suspenders’ also means the original design required two independent failures before the OD was in jeopardy. I’m not sure about the push button design to force the down shift. As you said if a R-6 kickdown switch isn’t found a R9-11 switch will do with an aux relay with the solenoid connected to the NC terminal. I put ‘defeat’ switches in both of my cars (R9-11) so I can inhibit OD operation anytime I want. The switch also makes a convenient way to force a downshift while I’m coasting-up to a traffic light. Sometimes I can get the timing just right and never have to stop, or lug away . . . I’m reluctant to ‘floor’ the throttle at low speed, so I command a ‘kickdown’ by interrupting power. As long as I’m coasting the ignition cut-out feature isn’t needed.

dp

Posted on: 2021/5/15 18:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Ernie, based on a comment after my post, it might be postwar R9 rather than R6 as it has a switch on it. It's in the Classified Ads of my site linked below and I guess I should have looked there to refresh my memory before posting!

Posted on: 2021/5/15 19:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I don't know if this will be any help- but when I installed an R 11 in my 38 coupe I didn't use a kickdown switch. I just broke the connection from the governor to the relay with a toggle on my dash. I usually run with the OD energized all the time but when I want to go into "regular" drive I just flip the toggle and give the clutch a touch and bingo "regular" drive

Posted on: 2021/5/16 6:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved