Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bleed those brakes! 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tall Steve
See User information
Rebuilt master cylinder plus replaced rear axle seals. Adjusted rear shoes. Brake lines fully open. I benched primed the master cylinder. Squirted 1/2 way across the garage. Had a vacuum brake bleeder that I thought I would try. Worked half way...still no brake pedal. I use to have a helper pump three times and hold. Work from farthest wc from master cylinder to the closest wc. Does that work on Packards? Looking for suggestions. I am using Dot 4 fluid

Posted on: 2021/5/16 17:40
Even the most difficult situations can be learning situations.

1953 Packard Clipper
1957 Chevrolet BelAir
2004 Chevrolet Corvette
 Top  Print 

Re: Bleed those brakes! 53 Clipper
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I initially used a vacuum bleeder when I did the brakes on mine. But I was unable to obtain solid brakes with it. It did a great job at getting fluid in all the lines, and I flushed a good amount through.

I went back and did the more traditional way of having a second person pump and hold the brakes. I then closed off the bleeders while they were still holding, once I was sure there were no bubbles. Got really nice brakes after that.

Furthest wheel cylinder from the master first, then work your way back to the MC from there.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/5/16 18:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I used a pressure bleeder on my 1954 Patrician which flushed and bled perfectly.

Posted on: 2021/5/17 19:00
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Kapn
See User information
I’ve used a pressure bleeder on a more modern foreign car. The bleeder screwed onto the fluid reservoir in place of the cap.
What kind of pressure bleeder do you use on a 48 Packard?

Posted on: 2021/6/23 20:34
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
I use a Motive Products pressure bleeder. I got a standard brass fitting for the pump side and machined another brass fitting to seal the master cylinder. Then just connect the two with some extra hose. It works a lot better than vacuum bleeders, those are mostly junk unless you buy very high end equipment meant for shops.

Posted on: 2021/6/23 20:48
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
I am not familiar with a 53, does the car have a vacuum booster?

(My 57 does. I did everything like you did. Eventually found it had issues with the booster)

Posted on: 2021/8/3 11:14
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved