Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 152

Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Whitewall Tires.... Hmm....
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
While I'm waiting for the paperwork to get straight so I can buy my much anticipated 640, I'm pondering tires.

Original Packard magazine ads virtually NEVER show whitewall tires on their cars of this vintage, and looking at archival videos on Youtube, it seems that whitewall tires on anything, from the mid-1920s to the late-1930s, was pretty darned rare. Looking at the videos, no matter how stately the car, from Rolls Royces to Auburns and Duesenbergs, VERY few were on the streets back then with whitewall tires.

I know it's a matter of personal preference, but, if they really weren't popular when these cars were new, when did they suddenly become popular? It's definitely got me rethinking things and putting repro blackwalls on the car now. Thanks!

Posted on: 2021/5/17 16:25
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Re: Whitewall Tires.... Hmm....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Rather than judging based on looking at magazine ads, I'd recommend looking at factory and period photographs. You may reach the same conclusion but the photos are more representative than advertisements.

Posted on: 2021/5/17 18:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks, did that too, and yes, same conclusion. Apparently whitewalls on larger cars across the board were not a thing in the late 1920's and early 1930's - looks like it was on smaller cars starting in the mid-1930's, but not the big boys.

Just strikes me as very curious why they're seemingly standard issue now when they weren't back when the cars were new. Thanks.

Posted on: 2021/5/18 8:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Take a look at Cadillac. They sold lots of cars with white sidewalls. Rolls-Royce no except for Jackie Coogan. He loved them. Double whitewalls are something not seen anymore.

Posted on: 2021/5/18 15:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Plenty of whitewalls in this factory photo from 1932 of some Light Eights awaiting delivery.

Attach file:

jpg  900 Deliveries cr.jpg (200.19 KB)
177_60a51ae916a47.jpg 1461X870 px

Posted on: 2021/5/19 9:04
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
I'm fairly uneducated on the topic, but I do recall hearing the same thing I read on Wikipedia regarding early whitewall adoption:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewall_tire#cite_note-4

"The status of whitewall tires versus blackwall tires was originally the reverse of what it later became, with fully black tires requiring a greater amount of carbon black and less effort to maintain a clean appearance these were considered the premium tire; since the black tires first became available they were commonly fitted to many luxury cars through the 1930s. During the late-1920s gleaming whitewalls contrasted against darker surroundings were considered a stylish, but high-maintenance feature. The popularity of whitewalls as an option increased during the 1930s. "

The original premium of blackwall tires would also account for why the magazines showcase them more prominently, I'd imagine.

Posted on: 2021/5/19 17:14
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Plenty of whitewalls in this factory photo from 1932 of some Light Eights awaiting delivery.

1932 seems to have been the year Packard embraced whitewalls, although in photos they're still not wildly popular. I've still not found a single 1927-1931 factory Packard advertisement or promo photo that shows any of their cars wearing whitewall tires. GM. Auburn, and Cord, seem to have started the trend on their larger cars, but it really seems they didn't start to catch on until 1932/1933, and even then, in very limited numbers.

Attach file:

jpg  packard-1929.jpg (49.81 KB)
224949_60aea16d82823.jpg 720X577 px

Posted on: 2021/5/26 14:29
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved