Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Antenna delete plug
Just popping in
Just popping in

Olebusted1
See User information
My 53 Clipper deluxe club sedan has a power operated antenna that does work, great. Unfortunately the radio does not! Since I do all my listening thru bluetooth, this isn't an issue. I have pulled the radio and am currently waiting for a radio delete panel to arrive. My question is, was there ever an antenna blanking plug for the fender ever produced, or has anyone come up with a solution to close the hole?

Posted on: 2021/5/27 16:11
 Top  Print 

Re: Antenna delete plug
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
rubber plug (basically a grommet with no hole) from hardware store.

Posted on: 2021/5/27 16:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
No such plug existed since radios were not typically removed. The radio delete plate was for vehicles not ordered with a radio which meant that they never had an antenna installed.

Posted on: 2021/5/27 16:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I agree - it's a solution less extreme than filling the fender hole. It's what's done more recently when the antenna hole is stamped in the fender so they all have them

Posted on: 2021/5/27 16:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Electric antenna install instructions call for a 1 1/4 diameter hole in the fender. That may be asking a lot for a typical thin hardware store type unsupported grommet to span and stay in place on a curved fender. If you cannot find something in the hardware store Steele has some universal plugs that might work including one called an antenna hole plug. The OD on that plug which would be on top of the fender is slightly larger than the hole but the question would be if the groove would fit the hole and curve to keep it in place.https://www.steelerubber.com/steele-rubber-home-universal-parts-plugs

Alternately you could keep or buy another antenna grommet and use the original or get a repro antenna mounthttps://classiccarreproductions.com/product-category/antenna/ and use something like a painted rounded top carriage bolt or flat elevator bolt to close the opening in the top of the mount. Sandwich a support bar under the fender and if needed, a spacer like affair over the bolt that is the needed diameter to keep things centered in the hole. By tightening the nut on the bolt the assy should stay in place.

Posted on: 2021/5/27 18:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

John Sauser
See User information
Look in the plumbing section of a hardware store, they have chrome or stainless snap-in plugs to fill holes in kitchen sink rims for soap dispensers, sprayers, etc. they may have one that fits.

Good Luck, John

Posted on: 2021/5/28 9:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You could leave the antenna in place which would look ok and not have the bother of finding a suitable plug.

Posted on: 2021/5/28 10:57
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you search you'll find all kinds of these listed, some for the cable hole through the fire wall and some for the fender but to find one specific to a Packard or Packard model is probably not in the cards. You can check the parts list for your year to see if one existed.

The best thing to do, if you want to remove the antenna, (I'd just leave on which makes this question moot), is take the fender mount off the antenna and plug that antenna hole, then put it back on the fender. I considered this approach for the Cad, but found good used parts to get my power antenna fixed. I wired it on a switch, since the modern radio doesn't have the amp rating contacts for the old antenna and I use a hide away antenna for the classic stereo.
This wouldn't bother me, as I'd just make a patch, weld up the fender hole, and fix the paint. Lead could be used in lieu of welding.

Posted on: 2021/5/28 18:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The hole is actually oval so only something flexible would work. Otherwise, just weld it shut.

Posted on: 2021/5/28 20:54
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Olebusted1
See User information
Thanks everyone for your input! There is no "Packard" antenna delete plug available,So I made one out of 1/4 inch aluminum flat bar. Curved it to follow the lines of the fender, rounded the edge, made an 1/8 inch gasket and welded a stud to the backside. Oh and polished it. Necessity is the mother of invention!

Posted on: 2021/6/24 16:43
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved