Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
25 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 25

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: I
Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
The Packard's rather unusual front suspension might be considered an advantage in the hot-rod crowd, something unusual and unique, and it had some significant advantages, I think it wasn't as easy to package when modern proportions with the engine over the front wheels came into vogue, but you might just consider, as part of your unique retro-rod, to consider maintaining the front suspension - I haven't checked but with all the Packard vendors and support out there, the parts should be all available, and you can probably fit it with disc brakes and as someone else said, power steering if you like, though you may not end up really needing it - and it might look really cool exposed.

Packard One-Twenty and the Safe-T-Flex suspension

View from the rear of a Safe-T-Flex on a Packard Twelve

Safe-T-Flex was apparently used by license from Packard by Rolls Royce both before and after WWII, though the info on this is somewhat muddled. Maybe "inspired by" is a better term:

Rolls Royce and Safe-T-Flex

Safe-T-Flex versus Traditional IFS

Rebuilding a Safe-T-Flex

Aligning a Safe-T-Flex

Posted on: 2021/5/31 21:16
 Top  Print 

Re: I'm in need of some help with what to use for a front end for my 39 Packard.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
You know what? Have fun. Do the research. Read everything you can Google up. There are a couple of websites with guys building entire cars from little more than a few body parts and everything they can scrounge. Be creative. Think. Dare. Do!!! And ask for help.

I was coming back to this part of the world yesterday and saw a Packard coupe (a '38) sitting in front of a kind of derelict gas station/tire store. I had to stop - I just had to. Three guys - Jimmy, Jimmy and Ronnie - drinking Millers and smoking Marlboro lights. All kinds of old iron populated the place. I was dutifully respectful even though I'm just as old as these fellow, almost. As a result, I was invited back, any time. "We're just three retired guys building hot rods," I was told. Damn skippy!!! Now I know who to ask for a good machinist and to show me a trick or three about welding.

This is car country here. Lots of rods. A few guys are running flatheads. I'm looking forward to this - I really am.

My very best wishes on your project.

ETA: Check this out. Starting from somewhat less than what many of us would consider a decent parts car. I'm truly impressed.

https://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/1939-packard-custom/

Posted on: 2021/6/1 20:04
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Re: I'm in need of some help with what to use for a front end for my 39 Packard.
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
It's your car. Build what you want.

Posted on: 2021/9/25 23:05
 Top  Print 

Re: I
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
About the only thing junkrods do well is turn cash into smoke.

The advantage of keeping a car stock is lower hospital bills when you are involved in a crash. Plus the extra cash can be used to buy additional accident insurance.

It's always the same boring formula with that junk. Chevy crate motor, cut up the frame, same tilt steering column, fat tires etcetera, etcetera.

The kids seem to do better. They take a little Toyota sedan, bolt on a turbo, add a computer program, and blow the doors off any so-called muscle car that fools pay big money for.

Attach file:

jpg  4631b8d3c88c889bfae996989ef1a245.jpg (14.07 KB)
373_6150545074248.jpg 259X194 px

Posted on: 2021/9/26 6:07
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved