Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

timing a 1949 deluxe 288
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
After loosening the two bolts that hold the distributor clamp in place,I am still unable to rotate distributor ccw. Need to adjust timing for backfire.Vacuum advance is working fine

Posted on: 2021/5/30 19:47
 Top  Print 

Re: timing a 1949 deluxe 288
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some distributor brackets have a short slotted head screw immediately below the distributor body that tightens a clamping arrangement. You may need to get a mirror to see under the dist and around the grease cup. If you find one loosen it. The distributor body should then rotate independently of the two holed bracket that bolts to the block.

Posted on: 2021/5/30 20:57
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day bear,
to PackardInfo.

I invite you to include your "49 deluxe 288 in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/5/30 21:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Bear:
Ross Miller’s video on the subject has a pretty clear view of the clamp @ 11:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiYY11rwjQ6A&t=1227s

or search

Installing a Distributor | Packard Straight 8 | Ross Miller | Speedwell Garage - YouTube

The clamping screw is at six o’clock on the clamp. The intent is to tighten the bolts at 3 & 9 o’clock before the distributor is installed, and then with the horizontal screw loose install the distributor. Timing is then conducted statically or dynamically with a timing light, following which the clamping screw is tightened. On the left side of the clamp is a feature that allows the gauging of small changes to the timing without the use of a timing light. To do this the clamp bolts at 3 & 9 o’clock are loosened just enough to rotate the body of the distributor. The scale on the left indicates the new datum, or bias to the initial adjustment done with the timing light. I’ve been told that such a feature allowed for a timing adjustment to accommodate a low octane fuel. Once the distributor is adjusted the clamp hold down bolts are re-torqued, and if the owner thought that the poor fuel quality situation had passed the distributor timing bias could be returned to the original position. At least that’s the story that was told to me . . . who knows, it could be true. Once you have the distributor out you can remove the bolts, I believe the bolts have a shoulders, and inspect the mechanism. I believe you will find the clamp has limited authority on timing adjustments, and should be installed initially at zero bias.

dp

Posted on: 2021/5/30 23:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
thank you for the info

Posted on: 2021/5/31 7:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved