Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Thanks to Ross!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I read a post a while back and can't remember whose or which forum, but someone was asking about carb issues as their engine was bogging and missing at higher revs. Doesn't matter where it was 'cause I'd probably be hijacking their post with this anyway... point is, Ross weighed in and suggested checking points first, as bad, or poorly adjusted points can present in a similar manner. I was having issues with my '39 Six bogging when I laid on it and it did not want to rev up. I too, first thought of fuel as a culprit, but after reading Ross' advice, I changed out my points and condenser. Before it was even hard starting and now it seems to fire instantly, and revs, no problem. Thanks for the advice, Ross; saved me a ton of work, going down the wrong avenue, too!! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/3 17:06
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Thanks to Ross!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Ross is a hero! He helped me several times last summer when I was doing my in-frame!

On the AACA forums there is a guy who claims “90% of all carb problems are ignition related” - I think he’s probably right.

Posted on: 2021/6/3 19:03
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Ken,
Yes, ditto and ditto; Ross' depth of knowledge and experience AND his willingness to share, is a real asset on this site to neophytes such as myself and others, light on the mechanical end. And yes, I bet a very high percentage of 'carb' issues ARE tied to ignition- related deficiencies. A guy just has to be methodical and check ALL the boxes when diagnosing and chasing down running woes. I just came back from a good long highway run and the car ran beautifully. Wound right up to 65 MPH (briefly) and cruised easily at 55; no bog or hesitation. Way cool to have that sussed and be able to now just 'go cruising'! Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/3 19:26
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
That’s awesome! Congratulations!

Posted on: 2021/6/3 21:24
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Yes, kudos to Ross. He saved my clutch. He saved my overdrive. And he does it with straightforward logic. Why don’t I have that?instead of going on an Easter hunt every time I have a problem. Bless you, Ross. And the You Tube videos at your Speedwell Garage are great, too.

Posted on: 2021/6/3 21:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Indeed, I wish Ross lived closer to me so I could take my car to him

Posted on: 2021/6/4 7:33
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Jworth
See User information
I have to chime in here. Ross is truly an amazing guy and I am very thankful he lives somewhat close by. He rebuilt the transmission on my 1955 Caribbean and it shifts better than any car I have ever owned. His attention to detail plus being a great guy makes dealing with him a pleasure. Not to mention Mike his helper is amazing as well

Posted on: 2021/6/4 8:54
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Ross

Posted on: 2021/6/4 11:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Thanks Ross! Can't thank you enough for the help you've given me.

I'd love to see more videos on your Youtube channel. The distributor and brake adjustment videos were extremely helpful. I watched each one many times while I was doing the work and they made the work so much easier.

I'd be down for literally anything on video....cooling system management, electrical, door/body adjustments, glass replacement, valve adjustment, etc. Even if it's a short video it would be very helpful. The more info that can be passed on to us new guys the better.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/6/4 12:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'm with you Kevin. I was able to watch Ross' video on setting the distributor timing. John

Posted on: 2021/6/4 14:35
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved