Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

31 headlight connector
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
So, the job today is clean up the headlights and electrically connect them to the harness. Fortunately, I have all the parts and pieces including the connectors and tiny brass screws and bits to make the connections, but what I'm not sure is how to connect the harness to the connector.

The harness has 4 wires - ground, low beam, high beam, and parking light. The ground wire gets soldered to a cupped shaped piece of brass that seems to contact the inside of the connector housing to ground the whole light. Now the connector has three holes marked 1, 2, and 3. But I have the old connectors and it looks like only two of the holes were used for the low beam and high beam-- the lead for the parking light is cut. Does anyone know how this connector should be wired?

Posted on: 2021/6/5 11:19
 Top  Print 

Re: 31 headlight connector
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Also, does anyone have a picture of how the W-clips hold the lens in place? Finally, my parts include a triangular coil spring that's about an inch tall - what's its purpose?

Posted on: 2021/6/6 6:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Regarding the "W" clips, the outer inner lip secures the edge of the lens and the outer legs go into the crease of the bezel. Space equally around the perimeter.

Posted on: 2021/6/6 7:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks Owen, I'll give that a try. I found an illustration of the headlamp that indicates the triangular coil spring fits between the back end of the reflector and housing, where the two screw together.

Posted on: 2021/6/6 8:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The screw in the back of the headlight is for setting the focus. It moves the bulb socket back and forth in relation to the reflector.

Posted on: 2021/6/6 8:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
The spring provides tension for the connection between the headlight shell and the bulb mounting (focus adjustment). The rear screw goes thru it.

Posted on: 2021/6/6 13:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Ahhh, yes, that makes sense. It's all coming into focus, pun intended. I'm coming to the conclusion that at some point or another, a prior owner lost the little brass screws/hardware in the plug and instead of trying to locate replacements, just cut wire and disabled the parking light.

Posted on: 2021/6/6 16:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Turns out I don't have all the parts. It seems, for some reason, a prior owner probably lost the brass bits that fit in the headlight plug and cut the wire to the parking light. Does anyone have the little brass screw, cup and wire loops, or know where I can get it? I need two sets, ie two screws, two cups, two loops. Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  Headlight bits.jpg (295.25 KB)
198445_60d4fb7ba1cde.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/6/24 16:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information

Posted on: 2021/6/25 8:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
Thanks very much West! Those do look like nearly the same size as mine, so I decided to give it a shot.

Posted on: 2021/6/27 6:42
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved