Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 139

tuskman, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 31 headlight connector
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
If you haven't bought them. Wait an hour or so and I'll see what I have.

Posted on: 2021/6/27 15:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Sorry No luck

Posted on: 2021/6/27 16:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I finished my headlights yesterday on the 31 and wanted to convey some thoughts for the benefit of any future searches seeking knowledge on the same subject:

1. After searching high and low for replacement headlight plugs/parts specific to the CM Hall lights used on early 30's Packard, I couldn't find anyone that has anything in supply. Definitely retain the old electrical plugs off the harness cause you'll have to reuse them.
2. If you're missing the brass screws and electrical connectors in the plug, or they're wrong or stripped, I found Model A Ford used very similar brass bits for the 28-29 year and can be purchased cheap from any national supplier. If you use them, then prior to wiring anything make sure the brass connectors will fully insert into the plastic cylinder make sure Also, Model A Ford headlight bulbs enjoyed the same base and seem to work just fine, at a fraction of the price of what Packard distributors are selling.
3. When you're putting everything back together do bulb checks and circuit/continuity tests on the three circuits in the headlight buckets to determine if you have problems. I hooked a 6V lantern battery up to each of the circuits and grounded to bucket and made sure the bulb would glow before mounting to the car.
4. The cork gaskets on the buckets can easily be duplicated with 1/8 inch cork, a straight edge, and sharp razor. They only need to be 1/4 wide to fit right.
5. The male plug and female connector are each marked "1", "2", and "3". On mine, 1 was the depressed beam circuit, 2 was the low beam, and 3 was the high beam. This means you have to wire the harness to the plug correctly so that, when inserted, these circuits line up with the 1, 2, and 3 circuits on the female side. Also, you have to recognize where the 1 position is on the female side, so that you insert the plug it lines up correctly. You could be 180 degrees off. Also the entire headlight is grounded by virtue of a small brass semi-circular plate that conforms to the inside circumference of the lower section of the plug. It has to be soldered to the ground wire from the harness. Be sure everything is real clean inside the plug and grounding plate bright to get a good ground. I put a small piece of wadding in the plug to force the grounding plate against the inside of the plug. Seemed to work.
6. If you're missing the plug, or the plastic insulator cylinder that fits into it, consider removing the female connector in the bucket, and just wiring everything directly to the harness using insulated spade connectors. You'll just need to ground the bucket to the ground wire from the harness which can probably be done by running a small machine screw on the bottom (to conceal from view) and bolting down the ground eyelet with a matching bolt on the inside of the bucket. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2021/7/18 6:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Nicely done. Thanks for the very useful information--especially the Ford interchange.

Posted on: 2021/7/18 6:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...Very interesting for a guy who has a Packard and a Model A Ford in the garage...Thanks, Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/7/18 10:39
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
If they don't work, I have some of the connectors if they are the same size as used on 1929 taillights.

Posted on: 2021/8/18 19:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I’m good for the fronts but need a taillight socket. Have any of them? I think I can make one out of a 7/8 inch plastic dowel rod, and some thoughtful drilling.

Posted on: 2021/8/24 14:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Are you after the socket or the plug (the plug being the plastic part that the wires fasten to)

Posted on: 2021/9/5 11:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I was after the plastic plug, but I decided to make one using a 7/8" dowel rod shaped to the correct size and carefully drilled to accept Model A Ford brass hardware. The telephone wires are just to test the connections with my multimeter.

Attach file:

jpg  Rear light plug.jpg (32.84 KB)
198445_613def9f5283e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2021/9/12 7:16
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved