Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Flickering Fuel Gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
My 37 does the same thing. New wiring harness… 12v. New float. Tested the sender outside of the tank and the gauge works great moving it up and down by hand.

Gauge has a runtz on it to drop to 6v. When full it’s pegged…. As it goes down it bounces around…. And empty is beyond empty…. I just deal with it and get gas just about anytime I drive it.

I thought about an aftermarket 12v gauge. Idk…. Not a priority… just posting I have similar issues.

Posted on: 2021/6/16 19:16
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Dr. Moribus & Cli55er,
First off, I am pretty sure the smaller Junior tanks did not have baffles in them to begin with. If I'm wrong, someone will certainly jump in and correct me, but I think it was jus the big tanks for the senior cars that were baffled. AND, the sender unit I purchased from KM Lifestyles, has a very definite damper built in to the float arm, that, IMO, would counter 'slosh-readings', no problem. I believe the erratic gauge reporting is electrical and pretty much has to be either the sender unit or the gauge. I have run a new wire from tank to gauge and clarified a good ground, so there isn't a lot left. In as much as these systems run on ohms, I suspect there is some sort of incompatibility between the S.U. and the gauge. Just MY opinion, though. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/16 19:57
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Buster
See User information
If you get a breakthrough let me know and I will do the same. Messing with my engine heating up a bit too much right now so focused on that. All the usual things to check over to narrow it down. 100+ F outside so some things out of my control.

Posted on: 2021/6/23 16:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Hi Buster,

I am still checking out my gauge as the gas level goes down. I am at +/- 3/4 of a tank and still a nice, steady gauge. I will take it right down, close to empty and monitor the reporting. And yes, if I figure out anything substantive, I will definitely let you know. Sorry you're having over heating issues. Are you working with a 6 or an 8?? I had problems in that department when I first got my car and I think it was a combination of a lot of things. One thing I would check out, if you haven't, is your water pump. There was quite a bit of discussion on this in an earlier thread, and the bottom line was, with these pumps being as old as they are, and probably having multiple rebuilds, their tolerances have diminished from corrosion and wear, to the point that they are not pumping at their full rated capacity anymore. I bought a new, aftermarket pump for my car ($155) and, along with a re-cored rad, new t-stat, flushed block and cleaned distribution tube, can now stay cool, even when the temps get upwards of a 100. Good luck with your endeavours. Holler if you have any questions that my limited experience might allow me to answer. Chris.

Posted on: 2021/6/23 18:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Buster
See User information
Thanks Chris, I’m working on a 6. Timed it last week. It was retarded several degrees need to test drive it this weekend. Pump seems to be moving water, it gets water/heat to the heater core well, but I have a new pump on the shelf and that will be an upcoming inspection project. Also have a new 6 blade fan that has some more “scoop” to it to force some more air at low speeds. Piece at a time.

Posted on: 2021/6/26 13:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved