Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
52 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 49

Joe, kevinpackard, David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Question for you custom guys
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I like that idea a lot. Something similar is perking in my head.

Damn, stuff sure has bonded together more than I remembered.

Posted on: 2021/7/12 13:30
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I removed the radiator last weekend as part of this disassembly-and-salvage process. It looks pretty good from the outside, so I flushed it out from each end (damn, that thing is heavy), used some plastic and black electrical tape, and sealed to lower connection. I added water to the top until is ran out.

It's been sitting for a week, the water spills I made have long evaporated, and there's no wet spot. In short, it seems to be holding water.

How common is this???

Posted on: 2021/7/17 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Well, they are pretty robust, and when I took my radiator to the radiator shop to get "rodded out" (it also didn't leak), they pointed out somebody had serviced it sometime in the 1970's, there was a stamp on it indicating the shop and the date.

Posted on: 2021/7/18 0:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I'm not even sure I'd have to have this one serviced, although a bit of a boil in the tank might not be a bad idea.

I have seen those tags, but not on this one. I think that this poor old car was sitting in a junkyard in Wisconsin in the 70s.

Now, how does one remove the Packard script on the trunk lid without destroying it? The script. I can fix the lid.

Posted on: 2021/7/18 4:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
The last stuck engine that I un-stuck wasn’t a Packard but in that case it was primarily the rods that had somehow glued themselves to the crank journals and piston pins that wouldn’t move. I had never seen that happen before and, as it was a V8 where there was no straight and direct route out for the pistons and not being able to turn the crank to get them aligned, it took ages.

Point is, some persistence might be required on your Custom and possibly taking the rod cap off to add some lubrication there. You can also sometimes pump oil into the galley to get it in where it might not be now.

Just noticed this. How does one pump oil into the galley? Maybe some 50/50 in there would cure what ails it.

Posted on: 2021/7/18 4:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved