Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 152

Jack Vines, BigKev, Dads 56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Various parts for sale
Just popping in
Just popping in

handykapp
See User information
looking for a Cater 643SA carburator for my '49 Super 8

Posted on: 2021/7/31 16:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I have the one from the '47, which is a 356. Is it usable for you? It seems like a complete core.

Posted on: 2021/7/31 16:34
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
A carburetor from a '47 356 should be a 531S. No idea if it would work well on a 327.

Posted on: 2021/8/1 18:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I remembered today that I have a carb from a '51 327. The choke adjustment plastic cover is broken - died in shipping. More like, was murdered, the knuckleheads.

Anyway, I'll have that cleaned up and pics taken here soon.

Posted on: 2021/8/1 20:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
Handykapp;

Carter data indicates that the 531 was intended for the 22/23 series 356 engine, and the 42-47 Super, while the 643 was intended for the 22/23 series 327 engine . . . so you’re looking for the ‘correct’ carburetor.

The main circuit mixture appears to be slightly different between the 531S (richest), 643S (middle), and 531 SA (leanest). This mixture adjustment was done by which metering rod set was installed. The main jet size is identical among the three carburetors. I don’t consider the amount of diameter change in the various metering rods as being a big deal, in that all three are close to one another.

The flange part number of the 531S & SA is different from the 643S, and the nominal idle mixture screw adjustment is different suggesting the potential of a porting difference in the flange. When I look at the individual pieces that would be used in the flange there seems to be the same start switch, throttle shafts and plates. The aluminum alloy cast parts are identical. Carter did not list the part number of the casting that contained the venturi. The sizes of all three venturi are identical between the carburetors in this discussion.

I would consider the 643 and 531 similar enough to be a good starting point for any of the engines listed, but if available the 643 would be correct for a ’49 Super 8.

dp

Posted on: 2021/8/1 23:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Work has been just so damned busy, I'm running behind on everything. I owe some folks some pictures and one man a shipping quote. I have to go to see Mom this weekend, so best guess is, I'll be back at it next week.

I have a couple of '41 radios which I failed to mention. I need to make a more complete list.

Posted on: 2021/8/6 4:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Finally got the last parts car off the trailer. Damned thing was every bit as difficult to unload as it was to load. No surprises, really, just a pain in the neck.

Needed the trailer to go to score some leftover building material. Looks like a lean-to project is going in soon on the side of the barn. More cars than sense sometimes.

Honestly, I will catalog some parts as I get them off and sorted. Looks like I'm cornering the market in Clipper rear windows. Those and hoods seem to survive best - trunk floors and A pillars/rockers the worst.

Posted on: 2021/8/15 17:40
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved