Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Recent Comments
Who is Online
61 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 61

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal

Wiring question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Ok so what’s going on here ….
Wire comes from the battery to a push button under the steering wheel , then to this relay .

Attach file:

jpeg  1B2016C9-1F49-4C0D-8FBF-67882F4DDCE4.jpeg (1,619.25 KB)
224913_60becd8d1abbf.jpeg 3005X2669 px

Posted on: 6/7 19:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Wiring question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That appears to be the R11 OD relay and the terminal on that side of the fuse would normally have 6v coming from the BAT terminal on the starter solenoid so hot all the time. Is that the case? If so maybe that is a convenient point someone found constant 6v power and fed it to the pushbutton and then to somewhere else for another purpose.

If no power and the push button being depressed supplies power to the relay then something else is going on with the original supply to the relay and more information is needed. A pushbutton could be used to force kickdown or OD engagement without the governor but that is not the place something like that would be connected. If that is what the PB is doing there should be some other mods or missing components on the OD.

That appears to be in a 22-23 series so here is the normal OD wiring diagram.

Attach file:

jpg  48-50 R11 schematic.jpg (110.28 KB)
209_60bed643a62a7.jpg 768X593 px

Posted on: 6/7 20:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Ok so basically I need 6v there and if there is not , then I need to start going backwards till I find the opening in the circuit .

Posted on: 6/8 4:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The electrical diagram shows the red(bk) wire coming from the battery to the 30 amp fuse, not routing to a PB switch, so wiring is most likely modified or your tracing the wrong wire. If there's no black tracer then it's also been replaced or added.
PB is usually momentary contacts, so not straight forward what going on here with partial info, as it's clearly powered direct from battery. If it's an on/off(twist) switch, then somethings being shut off/turned on.
Cars get modified as things happen and work or don't work and rather than fix them owners get inventive sometimes.
Part of the fun of owning one, is figuring out what's what.

Posted on: 6/9 20:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Two questions
Is the car equipped with overdrive?
Does the horn work?
Many times I've seen a situation where a push button near the steering wheel ran to a relay to the horn Just a guess.

Posted on: 6/10 5:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Wheelhorse76
See User information
Yea the car has overdrive , at least I assume because the pull cable is beside the steering column . The horns are not on the car so I couldn’t tell if they work or not .

Posted on: Yesterday 16:36
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
1955 PACKARD CARIBBEAN CONV
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved