Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Which hubcaps for a 53 convertible coupe?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The senior cars, as stated, had full wheel covers which were also available as an accessory on yours. For your 1953 Convertible, the Packard Parts Book shows same wheel cover was used on various models since 1951 but, as you did not show any photos of the whole thing, it's difficult to see exactly what you have from such close-ups.

I suspect that they were just made by different manufacturers using slightly different techniques as no other years or models used them or anything like them. I would just pick the best set and install them!

Posted on: 2021/6/9 17:56
 Top  Print 
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
Well, Chris, you are more observant than I am. I have several of each kind. I had never noticed they were different on the front.

I had noticed a difference on the back. The "smooth" ones have 16 mounting "teeth" on the rear. The "stepped" ones have 8 mounting "teeth".

I even have a NOS set of the smooth ones but no part number to be found!

Posted on: 2021/6/14 0:18
 Top  Print 
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Based on the super close-up photos, I thought these were the small type of wheel covers that mounted over nubs on the wheel but apparently they are the full cover type. If so, then the same were used for 1951 and 1953-1954. 1952 had a type with ribs on some models and 1951 offered the same covers but with Cloisonné emblems at the center for certain models. I have an NOS set of the full covers too (along with a couple with Cloisonné) but they are at my Oregon shop and I never noticed the difference you mentioned. However, as I suggested, it may be only a simple matter of one manufacturer over another.

Posted on: 2021/6/14 1:24
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Hey fellas!

Sorry for the late reply.

Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:
No problem Chris. Yes, these are Junior hubcaps so the Seniors may be totally different. I have no idea.

Hope you get an answer!

-Kevin

Yeah, I'm not sure either! Hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this!

Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Does the Packard Hub Cap and Wheel Cover Identification Guide in the Literature Archive here on Site help?

That hubcap guide is pretty cool, I didn't even know it existed. Unfortunately, it doesn't really help much in this situation because the caps looks almost identical and the images in the guide are of such low quality.

Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
The senior cars, as stated, had full wheel covers which were also available as an accessory on yours. For your 1953 Convertible, the Packard Parts Book shows same wheel cover was used on various models since 1951 but, as you did not show any photos of the whole thing, it's difficult to see exactly what you have from such close-ups.

I suspect that they were just made by different manufacturers using slightly different techniques as no other years or models used them or anything like them. I would just pick the best set and install them!

Sorry about not posting better pictures earlier. I have one attached to this post now. Hopefully it helps.

Quote:

longjohn wrote:
Well, Chris, you are more observant than I am. I have several of each kind. I had never noticed they were different on the front.

I had noticed a difference on the back. The "smooth" ones have 16 mounting "teeth" on the rear. The "stepped" ones have 8 mounting "teeth".

I even have a NOS set of the smooth ones but no part number to be found!

Haha. You're also very observant! I hadn't noticed that but I just checked and you're right. Mine are 16 and 8 just like yours!

Yup, no part numbers on any of 'em. So weird.

I wonder if the ones with more teeth are a revised version to stop them from coming off on accident.

Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
Based on the super close-up photos, I thought these were the small type of wheel covers that mounted over nubs on the wheel but apparently they are the full cover type. If so, then the same were used for 1951 and 1953-1954. 1952 had a type with ribs on some models and 1951 offered the same covers but with Cloisonné emblems at the center for certain models. I have an NOS set of the full covers too (along with a couple with Cloisonné) but they are at my Oregon shop and I never noticed the difference you mentioned. However, as I suggested, it may be only a simple matter of one manufacturer over another.

It's just weird though, you'd think they would still be stamped to the same specs across different manufactures. Especially for a cosmetic item such as these.

Thanks for all the help fellas,

-Chris

Attach file:

jpg  20210614_094026.jpg (313.92 KB)
110032_60c78a4832dd2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/6/14 11:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The “hub cap” site is interesting although only the first few are actually hub caps. The rest are wheel covers and a quick glance easily spotted errors so it is to be taken with a grain of salt for accuracy.

To the matter at hand, I wonder if it has anything to do with the new Safety Rims that appeared around then.

Posted on: 2021/6/14 12:30
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
The “hub cap” site is interesting although only the first few are actually hub caps. The rest are wheel covers and a quick glance easily spotted errors so it is to be taken with a grain of salt for accuracy.

To the matter at hand, I wonder if it has anything to do with the new Safety Rims that appeared around then.

I haven't even heard of Safety Rims before. What are they?

So, I talked to a Packard buddy of mine that's been playing with these cars for probably 30+ years. He said the the smooth ones with the 16 mounting teeth are the correct ones for my car.

After looking through google images, every single 53 Convertible has the smooth ones that I just mentioned.

Now I just need to score two more matching smooth ones. I'm still curious as to what the stepped ones are from.

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/14 13:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I had one of the 8 tooth "step" type on my Cavalier and it kept rotating slightly on the wheel. I was afraid it would cut the valve stem. I tried prying the teeth so they would grip better but I was never successful in preventing it from slipping.

Posted on: 2021/6/14 22:38
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
You can read about Safety Rims here but I can’t see how they could account for the difference in wheel cover design. It was more likely just a running change in details but I am curious now which types mine are! I have a good set on my 1954 Patrician and also an NOS set.

Posted on: 2021/6/15 2:59
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
Quote:

longjohn wrote:
I had one of the 8 tooth "step" type on my Cavalier and it kept rotating slightly on the wheel. I was afraid it would cut the valve stem. I tried prying the teeth so they would grip better but I was never successful in preventing it from slipping.

That's interesting. So maybe the ones with 16 teeth are the revised ones due to this issue. I sure wish some of mine had part numbers on 'em.

Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
You can read about Safety Rims here but I can’t see how they could account for the difference in wheel cover design. It was more likely just a running change in details but I am curious now which types mine are! I have a good set on my 1954 Patrician and also an NOS set.

Thanks for that link Don. Let us know which ones you have, I'm very curious as well!

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/15 11:58
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Chris R
See User information
I remembered yesterday that I had 5 or so extra caps in the truck of my Clipper project. Went to check 'em out, and they're all the smooth lip with the 16 teeth.

Out of the spares I had, I was able to find two decent ones to make a complete set for the Convertible.

It seems as though the smooth lip variant is the more common of the two. I'm still curious as to what the stepped version came off of though.

-Chris

Posted on: 2021/6/15 12:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved