Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 51

Ozstatman, DJP-37-120, Joe, Oldcaddies , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1952 Packard mayfair throttle creeps up
Home away from home
Home away from home

29tons
See User information
When driveing the throttle creeps up . Its not really noticeable until you try to stop. A quick tap of the throttle and its back to normal. Nothing seem to be binding up on the linkage and it seems to have more than enough spring pressure. I did notice 1 thing moving at firewall on the linkage its triangle shaped and the linkage gose through it. is this suppose to move

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_8459.JPG (147.17 KB)
3379_60bfa7d053fbc.jpg 1600X1200 px

jpg  IMG_8461.JPG (111.18 KB)
3379_60bfa7f38dbbf.jpg 1600X1200 px

Posted on: 2021/6/8 12:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 1952 Packard mayfair throttle creeps up
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The thin piece should be tight in the rivets at the bottom and if not, it may need re-swaging or even new rivets. You can probably get a riveting kit with swager by looking online I don’t recall the size offhand but you can probably tell by looking at yours. Doing the swaging will require removing the assembly and taking it to some hard surface where the rivets can be tightened.

That said, I don’t think that could account for the throttle creep but it is a point needing to be corrected so a good place to start. Also, maybe some lubrication on the ball at the end of the shaft that goes into the pedal and some at its hinge point.

Posted on: 2021/6/8 12:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be rubber around the rivets and between the two pieces so it should not move back and forth. The thin vertical arm is designed to allow a bit of side to side movement to accommodate any slight amount of torque twist the engine might have. You might do a search of the forum for accelerator bracket or accelerator linkage or something along those lines. Ross has posted his fix for brackets with the deteriorated rubber a few times.

Posted on: 2021/6/8 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Mine did the same. I removed the throttle linkage (easy) all the way to the carb, cleaned it all up (sandblaster), repainted, and lubed up each movement point. I drilled out the rivets on the bracket and replaced them with bolts for now. Eventually I might go back and do it with the original type rivets, but so far it seems to be working well.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2021/6/8 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
What I do is slip an old shock absorber bushing between the vertical plate and the firewall. They have no tendency to slip out and hold the arm in position. The one minute fix.

Posted on: 2021/6/8 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Mine is off. It had no evidence of any rubber grommets, those must be long gone. I thought perhaps the slop was intentional, so I actually greased it up!

So I think what y'all are saying is to to drill out the rivets and put some bolts in there until such time and place as one might replace with actual rivets?

Posted on: 2021/6/8 19:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I think I would try to fix it using rivets and rubber pads but screws would be better than nothing. However, I doubt it's the problem of your throttle creep issue.

Posted on: 2021/6/8 19:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved