Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 Custom grease fittings
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Tommy Baccaro
See User information
for the grease fittings on a 47 Custom. I need to replace a couple that should have had an angle on the head as where they were installed by someone you cannot get the tip of the grease gun attached because of clearance. In another case, the fitting on one of the kingpins is not even there. I checked with one of the major Packard suppliers and they could not help. I removed one and took it to O' Reilly's parts store and they could not match it. The part you pout the wrench to is 5/16. But don't know the size of the thread part. Help appreciated.

Posted on: 2021/6/18 10:09
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Custom grease fittings
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The old items may be obsolete so it can be difficult to find an exact modern fitting to match an existing.

You might check the parts manual to find the part number of the fitting and then match it to what Packard used by finding the number in the various utility sections. There was no utility category in the 41-47 Clipper manual so you will need to see if the same part number is listed in the 35-41 or 48-54 utility sections.

Once you get the dimensions McMaster-Carr or MSC have a good selection of modern items and you might get lucky. Downside to ordering from McMaster or MSC is you will probably need to buy a package of several to get the one or two you need. Packards drive or press to fit is the same as McMasters PTF thread designation.https://www.mcmaster.com/zerk-grease-fittings/

Attach file:

jpg  35-41 utility.jpg (112.55 KB)
209_60cccd2896ca1.jpg 996X940 px

jpg  48-54 utility.jpg (77.30 KB)
209_60cccd3231985.jpg 1228X568 px

Posted on: 2021/6/18 11:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1947 Custom grease fittings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Might be a case of SAE vs metric.
Most today are metric dimensioned, but SAE are still around. The threads being the most critical. 5/16" has a close metric relative.
Search under SAE "zerk" fittings. Local hydraulics/bearings places would have the largest selection.
The auto parts store are all make/model/year geared and anything pre-computer is non-grata. And they are no longer set-up to do dimensional cross referencing.
I doubt it makes much different except to the most critical what grease fitting is on it where, so long as it can be accessed and lubes periodically.
Grease tends to harden over the years, so may have to remove some parts, clean, and replace before they'll accept grease again. The steering link in the Cad was so afflicted.
https://www.saeproducts.com/grease-fittings.html

Posted on: 2021/6/19 8:47
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved