Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 32

Larry Reber, BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

No time or skill to fix torsion-level issues
Just popping in
Just popping in

SeaWolfVic
See User information
I need some help and/or advice. I don't have the time or the skill to fix the torsion-level suspension on my Dad's Executive. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know of any mechanic willing to try. Just getting frustrated.
Thanks.

Posted on: 2021/6/19 23:24
Matthew Victory
Son of car's owner
 Top  Print 

Re: No time or skill to fix torsion-level issues
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
What area are you in? There may be a competent shop or collector in the area who can help.

It wouodnalso be helpful to know what issues you are experiencing. Is the the car collapsed due to broken parts? Or is it staying up but the leveling mechanism is broken? Does the mechanism work but nothing is happening or it is not leveling correctly?

Posted on: 2021/6/20 0:16
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
It's not as hard as you might think - just different that anything else you ever saw or worked on.

Go to the FAQ section and read the primer that I wrote several years ago. There's a link to a training manual. Shop manual sections on suspension and electrical cover common service. Then, the index to factory service bulletin index that I compiled may also help fill in some blanks.

We can't give you much guidance unless you tell us what's wrong.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 8:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Where is the car located?
Are you a member of The Packard Club, and or a region of PAC. They might be able to assist with sources in your area.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 10:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I agree with Brian that it is not a hard system to understand and figure out. When mine stopped working, I used the information here to troubleshoot. As it turned out it was a loose and/or corroded electrical connection underneath the car.

My fix was to clean all of the electrical connections underneath the car and whenever possible to solder the crimp on connector to the wire.

Good Luck

Posted on: 2021/6/20 20:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
And use silicone grease. On all connections.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 20:44
Riki
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would wager almost all the issues today are electrical. Broken wires at a limit switch on the 56 models and bent brackets on the 55s. Bad brake switch, dirty wire connections, or the control switch contacts oxidizing so current will not pass thru the time delay portion in one direction or the other are the usual for both years. Once in awhile you will find someone has picked up an ordinary starter solenoid at a parts store so they replace it and being the wrong type solenoid it still won't work. Fortunately that is not as common an issue.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 21:00
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

SeaWolfVic
See User information
We're in Franklin, TN. The rear of the car is about 2 inches off the ground. The mechanism appears totally shot. I would like to remove it from the car or otherwise try to apply some voltage to the car, but no time and no way to get under car are a hurdle.

Posted on: 2021/6/20 21:17
Matthew Victory
Son of car's owner
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
The solenoid. On mine the top one is up. fender..

Like hot wiring a car.

Jumper positive to center terminal. If wiring is ok it should go up.

If wiring is grounded. It will start to go down.

Vice verse a.

S a far as jacking..start where you can center front. Then start blocking rear.. Till you got where you want it.

Jacking. Pull the battery cable..

Posted on: 2021/6/20 23:06
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike Grimes
See User information
I have owned several 1955/56 Packards and I am in the Franklin area for a couple of days. Give me a call or send a text and I’ll drop by. Two-eight-one 793 three 377.

Posted on: 2021/6/21 6:26
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved