Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 87

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: No time or skill to fix torsion-level issues
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I was able to jack up the left side (the side where the electrical stuff is located underneath) of the car lifting both the front & rear at the same time by placing floor jack mid section under the frame. Then used jack stands. I was able to go through everything while on my back to fix the connection issues. When using grease on the electrical connection buy a dielectric grease. You can get 3 oz at O'Reilly's for about $12.00.

Posted on: 2021/6/21 14:56
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

SeaWolfVic
See User information
I truly appreciate all of the suggestions and I will do what I can when I can to keep this car on the road. Dad's got his own ideas on how to do things and it's his car, not mine. So I just have to wait and see what he ends up doing. He's the one with the time on his hands. I still work a 40+ hour week and we're about 23 miles away from each other. Sadly, he's pretty set on bypassing the torsion suspension and putting something more conventional on the rear. I can't talk him out of it. Maybe if the car comes into my ownership at some point I can try to undo that. Who knows. Thanks to all that tried to help.

Posted on: 2021/6/22 6:14
Matthew Victory
Son of car's owner
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
So, it sounds like your levelizer shut off with the rear too low and isn't responding to the out of level condition. The problem could be independent of the levelling motor, but you haven't followed the advice previously given.

If the motor (and linkage) was still operational, you could study the wiring schematic in a factory bulletin and come up with a simple, yet safe, manual override of your own making for very little cost and time.

However, since you seem to have made up your mind, I'll bow put of this thread. Just know that the Torsion-Level suspension system was a Packard exclusive, and nothing else comes close.

Posted on: 2021/6/22 8:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
To replace the system, it would be easier to find a chassis without it and switch the body over to it. Since you don’t have the time, ability or even desire to repair it, I’m not sure the purpose of even posting!

Posted on: 2021/6/22 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Probably much more difficult and expensive to substitute another suspension than to just fix the Torsion Level, as others have said. Also a large part of the appeal of the car itself IS the torsion-level.

Check out Jay Leno's experience with his Carribean

Jay Leno's 1955 Packard Carribean with Torsion-Level suspension

Posted on: 2021/6/22 11:36
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

SeaWolfVic
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
So, it sounds like your levelizer shut off with the rear too low and isn't responding to the out of level condition. The problem could be independent of the levelling motor, but you haven't followed the advice previously given.

If the motor (and linkage) was still operational, you could study the wiring schematic in a factory bulletin and come up with a simple, yet safe, manual override of your own making for very little cost and time.

However, since you seem to have made up your mind, I'll bow put of this thread. Just know that the Torsion-Level suspension system was a Packard exclusive, and nothing else comes close.

For the record, the car is not mine. It belongs to my father. I don't have the car and I can't tell him what to do with it. If I had my way the car would be where I am and I would find a way to get the TL suspension working.

Posted on: 2021/6/22 23:13
Matthew Victory
Son of car's owner
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

SeaWolfVic
See User information
Quote:

PackardDon wrote:
To replace the system, it would be easier to find a chassis without it and switch the body over to it. Since you don’t have the time, ability or even desire to repair it, I’m not sure the purpose of even posting!

As stated, the car isn't mine. You make a good point though. I don't know why I even posted. Just trying to share my frustration I suppose.

Posted on: 2021/6/22 23:15
Matthew Victory
Son of car's owner
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Show him the Jay Leno video!

Posted on: 2021/6/22 23:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Or, One person who would probaby work on your Dad's Packard would be Ross Miller in Parkton Maryland. Looking up where you are, Smyrna Tennessee, it would be quite a hike to get there but Ross should be able to fix the TL problem. Easy to say from Australia, 10,000 miles away.

Posted on: 2021/6/23 0:07
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

cortes121
See User information
Quote:

JeromeSolberg wrote:
Show him the Jay Leno video!

SeaWolf, as requested by Jerome, here you go:

https://youtu.be/twiqImVwNBE

Posted on: 2021/6/24 14:00
- Anthony

1955 Packard Clipper Custom
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved