Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
47 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 46

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 52 mascot wings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
That is a ‘53-‘54 style and has different holes as the base is slightly shorter. It won’t bolt on to a 1952 hood.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 12:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
I see a line of screws down the center of the underside of the hood but nothing more substantial as I have seen on other cars under the mascot. I guess what I am asking is it attached to that strip and then the strip is attached to the hood? I'd rather not be unscrewing any more 70 year old screws than necessary.

If you want to take mascot from the base and the screws are on the bottom of the mascot, then it stands to reason that you’ll have to remove the assembly from the hood and that’s what the line of screws does.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 12:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Remember and mark which screw/spacer goes where as they can be different.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 14:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray
See User information
Hey guys, thanks for all the input! I got it off and find a previous person decided to glue the wings in with some clear RTV followed by flooding it with some sort of glue, with the wedge floating in the glue(see pic). Well, after about an hour picking away all of that, the glue is gone, wings fit into the body correctly, wedge is in place and now it looks correct and the wings are nice and tight.

Attach file:

jpg  20210628_173504.jpg (206.98 KB)
225033_60da50f5d59f5.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2021/6/28 17:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
With everything tight now, just to add some insurance in case something is worn maybe add a bit of adhesive with everything tight to keep the wedge or wings from vibrating and loosening.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 17:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray
See User information
Just got done adding a daub of RTV at the end of the wedge just to be sure. I'll leave it overnight and get it back on tomorrow. Thanks to all!

Posted on: 2021/6/28 18:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Good job! Are the tabs there on both wings? With all the muck, I see only one but if the wedge is holding, they must both be there.

Posted on: 2021/6/28 20:38
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray
See User information
Yes, they looked good and once all the glue was picked out it went together great, the wedge slid in halfway, a few taps firmed it up and the wings are tight and oriented correctly as well. I plan to put it back on tonight, it looks naked without it! I'm guessing the last guy just didn't know what to do with it but I'm glad he left the wedge in there.

Posted on: 2021/6/29 8:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I presume that by the wings being oriented correctly that they are sweeping rearward? for 1952 only, that's the way they are supposed to be. For 1953, the wings were one piece and could not be reversed but could be for 1952 although it would look odd if reversed but I have seen them that way.

Posted on: 2021/6/29 14:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ray
See User information
Yes, rearward. Before I worked on it they were a bit wonky, one a bit more spread out from the center with both spread a bit too wide. Now it looks sharp and sleek!

Posted on: 2021/6/30 6:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved