Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

BigKev, CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'50 Battery Connection
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I'm getting ready to 'borrow' the oil filter off my '41 limo and move it over to the '50 sedan (both engines are 356 post war). Gazing under the hood, I find that the previous owner has connected the battery ground to one of the bolts that should hold the oil filter. This leads to two questions:

1. Where should the ground be attached? I've looked at all the illustration plates in the parts manual and can't find an example. I've looked at all the photos of engine compartments I can find, and in all of them... the battery cable just sort of disappears out of view.

2. Since I will probably have to replace the cable to get to wherever it's supposed to be attached, should it be a braided ribbon cable or an insulated copper cable? The two major vendors seem to offer different products as replacements.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 8:32
 Top  Print 

Re: '50 Battery Connection
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe the originals were braided that attached to the block. I belive on the 51-54 motors the cable connected to a water pump bolt not sure if the 50's are the same or not.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 12:28
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
EDITED: Originally suggested braided as being correct, but that appears to have been proved wrong.

My 47 was connected on one of bolts holding generator bracket to block as does this 50 wiring diagram show however.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.74 KB)
209_467c0d7762c8e.jpg 377X359 px

Posted on: 2007/6/22 12:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm fairly confident that the braided naked flat cable is not correct for the 22nd-23rd series cars. My memory of original and unmolested 22-23 series cars is that the cable is round, insulated, probably "0" gauge, and attaches to the rearmost generator mounting bracket bolt (not the pivot bolt, but the one that holds the bracket to the block).

Posted on: 2007/6/22 13:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Owen_Dyneto, I believe you are correct about the wire as this pict from the ignition training book shows. Obviously my 47 has been modified during a past life.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.13 KB)
209_467c0feed46ee.jpg 483X374 px

Posted on: 2007/6/22 13:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
My '47 with the 356" engine is hooked up as illustrated as aell.

Posted on: 2007/6/22 15:24
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I stand corrected. I guess the 51-54 (or at least the 54) years are different in that respect.

That's what I get for making assumptions!!!

Posted on: 2007/6/22 15:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Gents, Thanks. That's just what I needed. Now, off to NAPA for a new cable. I really appreciate the help.

Posted on: 2007/6/23 0:18
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved