Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 107

DM37, 54packpac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

recore radiator
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
does anyone know where I can get my radiator recored without having to sign over the house lol

Posted on: 2021/6/30 14:32
 Top  Print 

Re: recore radiator
Just popping in
Just popping in

James Russell Packard the Third
See User information
No sorry . I had to just go find another radiator.
that skill seems long gone. but please let us know if you find one

Posted on: 2021/7/1 9:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
They still recore truck radiators-might go in that direction. It is not cheap-

Posted on: 2021/7/1 10:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
I don't know where you are, but might talk to one of these places:

http://www.sanjoseradiators.com/

https://antiqueradiatorrepair.com/

Posted on: 2021/7/1 14:51
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It would be helpful if you told us what year and model, postwar and later prewar fin and tube types are very much less expensive to recore than the earlier cellular type.

Recore of common postwar fin and tube radiators seems to be running $650 - $900 in the Northeast.

Posted on: 2021/7/1 14:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hi Bear,
for example: my 1953 Packard Clipper radiator needed too much repair work to make it worth while. Having the radiator recored and reusing the original upper and lower tanks was just shy of 1000.00 dollars. I'm in Vancouver, WA and there are still radiator shops doing mostly large truck radiators. I saw one radiator being repaired that was as big as one side of a double sliding door in a closet.
If you're in the Pacific Northwest let me know and I'll forward a contact phone # of the repair biz. Good luck.
Regards, Steve

Posted on: 2021/7/2 10:36
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I use Mac’s Automotive & Radiator Repair in Bend, OR for radiators, coolers and gas tanks. They are a local chain with shops in several Oregon towns, mostly in the western part of the state.

Posted on: 2021/7/2 12:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Right now, things are tight and prices are through the roof on most things. I'm dealing with this in different markets. Inflation is ramping up from poor US fiscal policies. I had mine done a few years back and was no where near what these numbers are. Local guy did a heater core last year and was reasonable. I'd stop short of price gouging but most things are still in short supply. Not sure the prices will go down, but depending on your urgency whether you can wait out the market.
Radiators have changed and most of the new ones are toss and replace, not made to repair like the vintage. The corner independent shops have disappeared, if they didn't diversify. There's been consolidation in the industry as well.

Posted on: 2021/7/4 8:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Hi, Bear,

My son took my old radiator to Mac’s in Oregon, the place Don mentioned, four years ago. I moved to MD last year.
I drive my 1940 Super 8 every day and the cooling system, with the replacement specs on the attached invoice, performs beautifully.
I subsequently added a parade fan in front of the radiator but I use it rarely, except when I come home and plug the car into the charger, plus open the bonnet to reduce heat on the hood paint.
I don’t know what model Packard you have, but I suspect costs might be about the same.

Attach file:

jpg  RaqdInvoice2017_7890.jpg (306.42 KB)
1067_60e21a7b12495.jpg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/7/4 15:30
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Wheelhorse76
See User information
I’m having my radiator recored in my ‘49 …. They told me 685$ to complete the job
Arrow Radiator
Hilliard , Ohio
614-876-6416

Posted on: 2021/7/22 11:25
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved