Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 115

Packard Don, happy, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Help with leaking ultramatic front seal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
Hi everyone. Just wanting some help/ advice. I have replaced my front transmission seal in my ultramatic on my 56 Clipper. I fitted it flush with the housing and it still seems to be leaking. My question is, should I knock it in all the way home till it stops and is this the possible reason it's leaking? Thanks for any suggestions.

Posted on: 2021/7/4 7:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Help with leaking ultramatic front seal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Flush with the housing is the standard position and should work unless the stub shaft on the convertor has a bad spot on it.

Other places to observe: That the cross headed bell housing-to-case bolt and flat washer is in the right place to prevent leakage past the threads. There is a good picture where it goes in the shop manual. Also the stub shaft bolts and gasket can leak on the TC, especially if it has been overheated in the past.

Lastly, if your seal has failed check to make sure that the reactor clutch has not seized: grab the little stub shaft on the convertor and twirl it both ways. It must be noticeably easier in one direction than the other. If the reactor clutch is seized a tremendous amount of heat is created in the convertor and any new seal will cook out in short order.

Posted on: 2021/7/4 10:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
Thanks Ross. Will follow your instructions and let you know.

Posted on: 2021/7/4 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I use silicone grease and pack it in the groove. Of seal.

Then check the drain hole. Upgrade is to drill it bigger. Think 1/4 in drill. But bell housing and front pump need to be off.

Maybe hh56 can post the service letter on hole upgrade..

Posted on: 2021/7/4 20:42
Riki
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
ok thanks! Will do that

Posted on: 2021/7/5 6:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phil_78
See User information
Thanks everyone for your advice. It turned out to be a striped thread that bolts the bellhousing to the box. Used a slightly longer bolt and siliconed it too. I'm finally leak free!

Posted on: 2021/7/23 4:04
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved