Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

A little help with wheel removal
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Pippo
See User information
Engine is near completioon on the 1923 restore project and I now need to get the chassis cleaned up and painted. This starts by removing the wheels and then the axles. Problem is, I can't figurw out how to get these darned wheels off. The service manual is all but useless. I've removed the beauty caps, the cotter pin and the retaining bolt but the wheel doesn't budge. I am sure I am missing something and I am hoping it doesn't need a wheel-puller (would be very inconvenient in the event of a flat on the road).
Any help is greatly appreciated
Pippo

Posted on: 2021/7/7 8:31
 Top  Print 

Re: A little help with wheel removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
What type of wheels? Wood spoke, disc or wire? Front or back?

How about a photo of a wheel.

Posted on: 2021/7/8 6:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
You may need a hub puller. You screw it on to the threaded hub and tighten a screw in the puller which forces the wheel off of the brake shoes, which are usually the offending party.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 13:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
If you are still having issues removing the wheels, I have been very successful by using candle wax.

Light the candle and drip the hot wax between the rim and the drum. 10 to 15 seconds, bam. It pops free.

SAFETY NOTE: Do NOT stand in front on the wheel/rim when dripping the wax as I have seen it pop the rim several feet off of the car... I have also loosened the lug nuts but keep them on the rim to avoid the flying rim going across my garage.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 14:13
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Pippo
See User information
Wooden spoke. Spokes are through bolted to the outer drum

Posted on: 2022/9/8 9:35
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Pippo
See User information
I've tried heating the yolk with no luck.

Posted on: 2022/9/8 9:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
What can't you remove? The wood spoke wheels or the drums to which they attach?

Posted on: 2022/9/8 18:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
If you are having trouble removing the drum, what is the diameter of the threaded part and the thread pitch. I have a number of hub pullers and may be able to lend you one of the right size.

Jim Wayman

Posted on: 2022/9/25 15:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You don't need a puller to change for a flat because that car has the hoop and tire assembly that is bolted around the spokes. On heavy trucks they are called widow makers because if you unbolt the wheel the lock plates may stick and fly off like a bullet.

The wheel is on a tapered axle so you do need a puller that screws onto the hub.

If the car was running you could back off the axle nut, install the cotter pin, and drive around the block to knock it free.

Posted on: 2022/9/25 20:08
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved