Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake pulling issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Find a brake shop that does truck brakes, they will know what to do.

Posted on: 2021/7/8 21:45
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
Well I got the car back today, they changed a number of parts out, wheel cylinders, drums turned, the wheel bearings swapped. Originally when the car went in I said the brakes had been leaned on hard and smelled, so I asked for fresh set of shoes, those came from a vendor on Ebay. They seemed to induce the problem. He got another set from a vendor in Michigan which had a asbestos lining which I understand is harder. The springs were replace also but they seemed the same per the mechanic. The problem seems resolved drove it home, with the new tires, changes the character of the car alot. I hope this is the seem work great.

Posted on: 2021/7/20 11:37
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I didn’t know that asbestos was still being used but too hard of shoes isn’t good either. Whenever I have shoes reclined, I always specify soft linings as I would rather wear out the shoes than wearing out the drums with hard lining.

As an anecdote to that, one time in my 6200 lbs 1952 Henney-Packard Nu-3-Way hearse with fresh brakes (huge 14” rears; wide 12” fronts), I was trying to go up a short but steep mountain road with a load of parts (Packard parts, not people parts) in the back but not only didn’t have the power with the non-overdrive rear end but the brakes, which were power, couldn’t stop the car from going backwards! It was rather scary but once back to the bottom and just before it turned, I managed to stop, then made a run for it and got out but as soon as I could I put in softer shoe linings.

Posted on: 2021/7/20 18:04
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved