Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
116 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 115

Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1929 640 Differential leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Filled my differential with oil and it leaks out the front (pinion side)like a sieve. When I put it together, I didn't see any seal other than the felt pinion seal. Is this supposed to keep it from leaking? Any suggestions? Is there a replacement for the seal, if that is the problem?

Posted on: 2021/7/10 13:17
 Top  Print 

Re: 1929 640 Differential leak
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
jimw, many times the pinion shaft - where the seal contacts it - will have a groove worn in it by the seal. Perhaps your leak is due to a worn seal and a groove in the shaft. A couple of bearing manufacturers make a precision sleeve (Speedie Sleeve?) to fit over the worn part of the shaft. This restores the surface preventing the fluid from leaking past the seal. Check with a good bearing vendor for the sleeve. The seal is probably available from some of the vendors known here. Others may have more specific information on this.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 13:41
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Pinion shaft looks good. Is the felt seal supposed to contain the differential oil? Anyone know?

Posted on: 2021/7/10 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
I misspoke, it is the splined flange that goes over the pinion shaft that bears against the seal. It looks good.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 17:00
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mechagon
See User information
You may find this old thread useful: "1929 640 Rear Pinion Seal"

There's an oil slinger on the back of the seal which should deflect the majority of oil. It seems that the felt seal is the only real seal on the Pinion but it should not be exposed to excessive volumes of oil when everything is operating normally.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 17:34
Alberta - Canada
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
I did see that thread earlier. My leakage occurs with the car just sitting (car has not been on the road yet), so the slinger and drain holes are passive at that point.

Posted on: 2021/7/10 18:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved