Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 102

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1928 Speedometer cable housing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Any suggestions on getting out the old/broken pot-metal thread from the steel shaft connector that is on the cable housing?

Thanks

Posted on: 2021/7/20 12:36
 Top  Print 

Re: 1928 Speedometer cable housing
Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Gar,
I have had to remove several of those broken off pieces from the 28th to 31 pot metal northeast units. The trick I use is to remove the inner cable, then use a counterclockwise extractor. Be careful to not bend the coupling.

Pat

Posted on: 2021/7/20 18:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gar
See User information
Pat:

Where did you find an extractor that large? I need one about over 1/2" in size and have only been able to find one just over 1/4".

Thanks

Posted on: 2021/7/21 8:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Gar, I don't recall where I bought the set I have, but I know they are not vintage. May have come from auto parts store or one of the common hardware chains.
PM

Posted on: 2021/7/21 14:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
That Northeast EF model is rarely serviceable unless you rebuild with one of the reproduction aluminum frames.

The only one worse is the Tesla designed Waltham built unit used by Packard just prior to the Northeast.It's speed indicator drum is made of a paper thin, fragile foil that is Intended to operate in the tiniest of tolerances. So, the slightest deformation, wear or any damage makes it Non functional.

When customers ask me if I can repair one of these, I must have a long conversation about the challenges.

Posted on: 2021/7/23 16:17
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved