Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
28 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 28

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Electronic ignition
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

RKS
See User information
I had Pertronix on my 51 when I bought it fortunately when it stoped working I was in my driveway, went back to points never had a issue with them and easy to find and replace when traveling (I do carry a spare set anyway).

Posted on: 2021/7/25 20:27
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There's some other considerations. It's often difficult to lean over and set the points accurately on some of these fat fendered cars. The over 50 set and bad backs know well.
If it has the window style cap and you can put the hexnut points in, and use the flexdriver and dwell meter it's a little easier but that came later. The Packard L8 is on the side so it's not as bad as a rear mount (GM). Only thing Frod got right.
I put Pertronix on the '58 Cad because I was changing to 3x2 in the overhaul and the points access gets worse. Some people swear by these, some at, so it's got a wide following. There are other ways to do it. Personal choice mostly. I think a lot of the "problems" were self induced by people not knowing what they're doing. Once bitten twice shy. But as far as the technolog goes, the electronic is far better for life and power. Otherwise, we'd still be using points. Points eventually burn and oxidize plus wear and tear on the follower cam. Electronic fails catastrophically, usually if a spike of some sort fries the circuit board, where as the points deteriorate over time => gives some warning, if you're attuned to them. I don't share the concern about the alternator but most of the 6+ cars are generator/VR anyway? (not relevant?)

Posted on: 2021/7/25 20:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The advantage of the electronic is the distributor becomes a cam position sensor and, thus, doesn't wear out points. I fixed a motor knock in a V-12 that had a module under the dash that controlled the coils. The layout looked dead stock except for the distributor leads running back to the cowl rather than directly to the coils. And it ran on 6 volts. It was someone's pet project but I don't remember who.

That's all there was to it. A module and two extra primary wires. Get the plans and you can build one yourself which is a little harder given no more Radio Shack.

Posted on: 2021/7/26 18:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah I've downloaded a few various plans for electronic ignition systems. They were quite popular in the 1960's and early 70's.

Posted on: 2021/7/27 9:09
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved