Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 98

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Re: Someone hooked the battery up backwards / new member 55 Clipper Deluxe
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
For the rear window, Ross happened to have one in stock.

I don't have a gasket right now. I'll try my best to not damage the existing one but if I need one these guys have a pair in stock for $85. Surprisingly, a replacement set of head gaskets for my daily driver (2010 Traverse) is over $300

Posted on: 2021/12/11 11:43
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I glanced through this and didn't see any mention of the charge/discharge meter. With the polarity reversed the charge gauge will read backwards. So when the needle shows discharge the car is really charging, unless they switch the two wires on the back of the gauge.

I switched the polarity on my '55 so I could install a Aurora radio conversion kit in the stock radio. I did this so I could have AM/FM and Bluetooth.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 11:31
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Marty or Marston wrote:
I glanced through this and didn't see any mention of the charge/discharge meter. With the polarity reversed the charge gauge will read backwards. So when the needle shows discharge the car is really charging, unless they switch the two wires on the back of the gauge.

In 55-6 Packard kept the 51-4 BAT and OIL idiot lights for the Clipper line and went to the full gauge setup for the Packard models. Idiot lights don't care about a polarity change but the coil still likes it better if it is wired to match the battery orientation.

Only exception to gauges vs idiot lights is because the 56 Custom Clipper was discontinued and became the Packard Executive overnight. They did this by replacing the Clipper fenders and front end styling with the Packard grill and fenders along with new side chrome and Packard name plates instead of Clipper. They kept the Clipper Custom interior and dash layout so the Executive is the only 55-6 Packard name offering with idiot lights.

Posted on: 2021/12/12 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yeah that's true. The GEN "gauge" is just a light (haven't seen the oil pressure light yet).

So here's my progress so far. Got the intake manifold off and everything disconnected to get the cylinder head off aside from its bolts and the exhaust manifold. Probably a silly question, but are those circled in red the exhaust manifold bolts? I had trouble even getting a socket onto them (partly because of the weird angle) and either way they're quite rusty. Hit them with some PBB right after I took the photo and I'll try again in a day or few.

Also, is that number in the close up the engine number? I was looking at the reference and it doesn't match the numbers or the locations listed. I assume it's just the head casting number?

Attach file:

jpg  20211212_161750.jpg (343.04 KB)
225076_61b68e40d772f.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  20211212_161859.jpg (211.55 KB)
225076_61b692e39b4d2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/12/12 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Engine number is on block. Behind water pump.

Those are head part numbers.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 4:00
Riki
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Re the gasket, I meant the rear glass gasket. As far as the head gaskets, I just got the whole set from Kanter for my 55.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 8:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The engine number would be on the engine, not on the heads, and it would be stamped not cast. As suggested, you'll find it behind the water outlet on a flat boss that faces upward but it might need cleaning to be able to see it. If it's the original engine, it should match the car's VIN but if not, you can look it up to see which engine it is.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 11:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are photos of where to look for your number in this database and you can find out what engine you might have if numbers are not the same as your door jamb plate.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/PackardEngineSerials.pdf

Note: If you have the 320 engine would you also look at your casting number. There is a question if the number 446521 as shown for the 320 is correct.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 11:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
John: I re-used the old rubber gasket. While trying to get the bottom of it in with a sash cord I ended up just tearing off the whole piece that goes over the metal lip *on the inside edge only*, not a big deal since the bottom of the window is bolted in anyway. I do have another one in marginally better rubber shape but equally old and in more than 1 piece, so I just used the original still in one piece.

Howard: Of course I will take a look at the casting number for you guys. I believe I have the 320 engine (though to be honest I wouldn't be able to tell the difference). Looks like my VIN is right in the middle of the run too (4220 of 9039. Or 8039? The Engines and Models reference differ by 1000). It might need to be later this week though as it's dark before AND after I come home from work here in PA. That's what I get for working on my car a week from the winter solstice.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 18:26
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They differ by 1000 because numbering began at 1001, not at 1.

Posted on: 2021/12/13 18:53
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved