Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Pressure Blaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Anyone used this blaster before?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95014

I want to use it for media blasting the fenders, hood & trunk lid. I figured it would be cheaper to buy this and the media, rather then spending the $400 to get all the parts done at the local blaster.

I'll just throw down a big tarp so I can try to recycle as much of the media as possible.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 22:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Pressure Blaster
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i bought one similar from northern tool. took it back because it wouldn't hold pressure and thus sucked bad. it wasn't what i really needed anyways.

i think you may need a heck of a compressor to really keep up. the one at the place that blasted my frame was HUGE!

it only cost me 350 to do the whole frame on all four sides....so i doubt it would be that much for me to do the fenders etc.....must be the difference between CA and TX i suppose.

i say it wouldn't hurt to try first...if it doesn't work out take it back.

later,

Hank

Posted on: 2009/3/21 23:09
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
FWIW, I use the 'big tarp' method and a simple siphon setup which works fine for me. The only drawback I can think of is that you will coat everything in a surprisingly large area with a fine abrasive dust. My nearest neighbor isn't anywhere in range so it doesn't matter, but it may be something you want to consider.

Edit: and yes, I do have to let the compressor 'catch up' occasionally.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 23:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well this one claims it only needs 6 cfm at 125, so I can manage that. 2 fenders, a hood and a trunk lid inside and out it a lot of square footage of area. Plus I don't want them manhandling the fenders as they are flipping them around to get all the inside rust from the inside of them. There's lot of surface rust and paint to remove plus all the sound deadening from the underside of the trunk lid.

If your was leaking then I can see where it was never developing enough pressure.

Posted on: 2009/3/21 23:23
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JD wrote:
"... you will coat everything in a surprisingly large area with a fine abrasive dust. "

HEED JD's warning!. The problem is that the sand riccoches from the work piece in global directions.
On a different note, I tend to avoid Harbour freight products.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 7:15
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Kev,
I don't have first hand experience, but friends have told of their experience. I don't think they have talked to JD in KC but they also echo his comment:
Quote:
"... you will coat everything in a surprisingly large area with a fine abrasive dust. "

Instead of the "big tarp" method, my friend used "a big driveway in the country" in front of his shop. Unfortunately, for us city dwellers we get zoning ordinances on noise, overspray, HazMat, etc.
Got any friends/ relatives that needs additional abrasive dust in their driveway?
DanL

PS: do you still like your little blast cabinet. I was looking at one this week after following your blog.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 11:52
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
Well this one claims it only needs 6 cfm at 125, so I can manage that. 2 fenders, a hood and a trunk lid inside and out it a lot of square footage of area. Plus I don't want them manhandling the fenders as they are flipping them around to get all the inside rust from the inside of them. There's lot of surface rust and paint to remove plus all the sound deadening from the underside of the trunk lid.

A steady 6cfm at 125 is a fairly large compressor. More than a 2hp machine can manage.

My suggestion is to give up on the idea of a syphon feed and find a pressure pot blaster.

I am not particularly recommending this unit, this is just to make sure we are on the same page:

[urlhttp://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=95014[/url]

I note this one has a "dead man" valve at the operating end. Many of the cheaper ones simply have a gate valve.

The advantage of this, if you have a small compressor, is that you can stop occaisionally and let the pressure rebuild.

One problem with these is the moisture build up in the tank. Make sure you empty it before storing, particularly if you are using a media that absorbs water (i.e. baking soda). Even with sand, wet sand doesn't flow very well.

Don't use expensive media, a lot will be lost. Many people will recommend beach sand from Home Depot. I won't. It has a tendancy to clog.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 12:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
plus all the sound deadening from the underside of the trunk lid.

Paint remover

Posted on: 2009/3/22 12:23
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
One last suggestion. If you need 6cfm at 125, set the machine tank pressure at 140-150 and the outlet at 125. If both are at 125, the machine will run constantly.

Also, spend some time playing with the media outlet valve on the bottom of the tank, you want the right mixture of air and media. This will become obvious.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 12:27
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The blaster I referenced is a pressure pot style blaster.

Yes, the existing Cabinet I have works just great. Just not big enough to handle the sheet metal. But it works great for the smaller parts.

Posted on: 2009/3/22 20:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved