Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
130 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 128

Don Shields, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Door hinge pins
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi All,
I,m looking to fit a couple of door mirrors that fit on the hinge pins on my 34 super 8 1103 sedan. The question is how do the old pins come out? Do they simply knock out or is it a much more difficult job than it looks? All help appreciated
Thanks Traumjaegercat

Posted on: 2009/3/22 5:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Door hinge pins
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Take a close look at the conical top cap of the hinge pin and you'll see a slot for a screwdriver. Unscrew the cap and push the pin out downwards. They were made this way to allow regular oiling of the hinge pin bushings. There is a picture illustrating this in the 1934 Service Letters.

If you don't see the slotted cap on top, look at the underside, they may be installed upside down. Pix of the hinge pin mirror on my 34 attached.

(EDIT - adding the info from the Service Letter)

Attach file:

jpg  (96.26 KB)
177_49c63dee86b5f.jpg 1217X793 px

jpg  (92.11 KB)
177_49c662efae325.jpg 757X1108 px

Posted on: 2009/3/22 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Thanks Owen thats a big help now I can get cracking.
Traumjaegercat

Posted on: 2009/3/22 15:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glad it helps. Now help me understand your screen name. Traum is a dream as I remember, a Jaeger is a hunter? Cat is a ? but not a cat or katz. So when you put it all together, how should it translate?

Posted on: 2009/3/22 16:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave in reply to your query you are absolutely right. It is taken from the german of dream and hunter (traumjaeger) but the cat was added in the english way by my wife who wanted me to be identified as english. I always used the German spelling of Traumjaegerkatze. It stems from my interest of anything German and a liking for cats.
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2009/3/29 12:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Door hinge pins need
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Paul Shropshire
See User information
Does any one have new door hinge pins?

Posted on: 2017/6/23 14:23
Paul Shrop
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Hello Traumjaegercat:
I now you have your answer from OD, but I'm very interested to know where you found your hinge pin side mirrors ?
I've been looking for some time, but no luck so far. I too have a '34, but its the 1101 2/4 eight coupe.
Thanks.
TomB

Posted on: 2017/8/15 23:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Tom,
This goes back away but as far as I can remember what I did with Dave's info was to make my own. I too had trouble finding hinge pins from sources in the States. It is not a difficult job to do if you have the tools and fortunately I have a lath so it did not take long. If you don't have the equipment I'm sure that the resources you have over there can make you a couple.
Don't be frightened to knock out the pin as the door will not drop and take the measurements (I can't remember if they were 1/4" or 5/16".) I used a pin punch to knock out mine When you have the new pin you have to dispense with one of the little screwed caps and the mirror will fit on the extended pin. I will try to take some pictures of mine and post them on here for you. This may take awhile as I always get trouble doing attachments on to here.
I made everything out of stainless steel.
I hope this helps to give you an idea for your car
Regards
Terry

Posted on: 2017/8/16 0:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Tom,
I hope the pictures are there for you to see and are clear enough. Please contact if all is not well with them or you require more info.
Regards
Terry

Attach file:

jpg  (94.92 KB)
1372_5993f6a115bf3.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (155.91 KB)
1372_5993f6bd7471b.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (109.03 KB)
1372_5993f6d97330f.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2017/8/16 2:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved