Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Main bearings for 359 CID engine
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

54ocmac
See User information
Good morning! I’m looking for a new set of main bearings in 0.010”. My usual go-to sources (Kanter, Merritt, Terrill, Egge) don’t have or make in that dimension. Does anyone know of a source anyplace else that might have them? Found a set on eBay a couple of months back. They were not all in like-new condition, but we’re determined to be usable. Once installed and bearing caps torqued, when engine was manually cranked, we noticed engine was harder to crank than expected. Caps were removed and bottom half of bearings were inspected. Some show “witness marks” at various locations, i.e., where they meet opposite bearing half or in other areas of the bearing surface. Don’t really want to have the crank ground again to accommodate 0.020” bearings unless absolutely necessary. Any alternate source suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!1

Posted on: 2021/8/14 10:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Main bearings for 359 CID engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I don’t know if it’s possible but maybe .020 over bearings can be reworked to the size you need as they are thicker than .010 bearings.

Posted on: 2021/8/14 15:57
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Duncan Michael
See User information
Bearing sizes are relative to shaft size. A crankshaft that has been ground .010" is undersized, so a bearing is described as "ten under".

If the bearing is tight at the parting line, check the cap alignment, it should fit tight in the register. Are any of the caps reversed or swapped?

What is your bearing clearance, and method of measurement?

Posted on: 2021/8/14 21:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
One of those things to check before the crank is cut, aka, Oops! These things take some planning.
From surface, if 20 over is available, I see that the best option => recut
0, 20, 40, 60 is kinda "std." for rework on bearings and pistons. Maybe a more numerous motor might have more repair options. I didn't like taking 40 from cylinder wall on the Cad, but that's what was available. They won't last forever, and probably won't see that much service going forward to be over concerned.
Find a better engine shop and see what they say. Maybe they can check straightness and align hone, maybe not. There are valid reasons why they went away from bigger inlines. Such a long crank may have deflection.
It is possible to add material, flame spray, etc. but not your usual machine shop task and cost. It's a commercial mostly item. Either way it's gonna come out of there again.

Posted on: 2021/8/15 8:09
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved