Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

South Bend Meet
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
I returned last night from a fun filled four days at the meet. Spent almost as much time at the Packard parking lot during the week as at the Stude lot. Met lots of frinedly, knowlegible, Packard folks, and looked at many very nice Packards.
Now I know how to tell the difference between 1955 & 56s at a glance. Also heard more about Packards, in general than I ever thought possible. Even rescued a 1956 Hawk hood from a Packard vendor, for a fair price.

Thursday, at the fairgrounds was more of the same. Also included a 1927 "twin-six" Packard that remains one-family owned. It reminded me of a Marmon I once saw sitting in a barn. Basically they both looked like Model 'A's on steroids :)

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/22 22:56
 Top  Print 

Re: South Bend Meet
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
JoeH: That 1927 Packard Twin Six you saw should be in Warren at the Packard Museum. If the car came from the factory equiped with the Twin Six, that would be a note worthy Packard.

The Twin Six is a V12 engine introduced by Packard in 1915,
and production of the engine was dropped after the 1923 model year.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2007/6/23 6:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The car was unrestored, all original, and still in the same family that bought it new. I saw it later, motoring across the fairgrounds under its own power, so I know it still runs.
Best way I can describe the the twin-six motor is it looked like a pair of six cylinder engines mounted side by side, on a common block.
It had front and rear seats, and also a pair of fold away seats in between. It also had a second windshield with foldable side vents just behind the front seat. Also had external, cannister looking hydraulic shocks, front and rear.
I knew it was a rare car among rare cars when I saw it.

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/23 8:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Joe, it was good seeing you at the meet. Here is a photo of some of the Packard powered Golden Hawks in the parking lot.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.36 KB)
6_467ebc7191637.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/6/24 13:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Thanks Joel,
It was nice meeting you in person too, though as mentioned there I have occasionally bought Packard parts from you since the late 1980s, beginning with an Ultramatic DD clutch disc. I have reached the conclusion that Packard people are every bit as friendly and helpful as the Stude crowd :)

As fot the cars in your pic, the blue & white is mine; the doeskin & mocha is my bro-in-law's, and the solid gold belongs to an old friend. (I sold him that car about a couple of years ago.)

Joe H

Posted on: 2007/6/24 14:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Joe, here is a photo of my car at the meet.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.64 KB)
6_467f258439e77.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/6/24 21:16
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved