Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 146

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trunk lining materials, convertible boot (‘54 convertible)
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Hey all, my first time posting here. I have a 54 Convertible (not Caribbean) that my dad helped me bring back to life over the last few years, and have a couple of questions on some remaining items:

1) What is the correct material for lining the trunk, and does anybody carry this?

2) Is there anybody who offers a boot for the top when it is down? (Tried Bill Hirsch and they don’t carry this).

Thanks for any help - apologies if this is a topic that’s been addressed before - I searched the forum and didn’t find anything.

Posted on: 2021/8/21 18:51
 Top  Print 

Re: Trunk lining materials, convertible boot (‘54 convertible)
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Welcome aboard.

Posted on: 2021/8/21 19:06
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Spencer B,
to PackardInfo but sorry I can't help with your questions.

However, I do invite you to include your '54 Convertible in the Packard Vehicle Registry.

Posted on: 2021/8/21 19:27
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Ahead of you on this one :), but will try to fill in some more details later.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=3645

Posted on: 2021/8/21 19:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe but others may need to confirm that as far as finish, the 54 convertible trunk was treated much the same as the regular models. Packard did not spend a lot of money on trunk interiors with most if not all finished with a sprayed on fairly coarse fibered rayon flock on the sides and portion of the trunk floor with a thin and also fairly coarse haired mat covering the center of the floor. The color is a matter of debate but I believe it was a mixture of tan, brown, and grey fibers leaning more toward a darker grey. Maybe someone will have an original with enough of the flock left on in decent condition to comment more accurately on the color.

Finding the original size flocking fiber in less than gigantic quantities seems to be an exercise in futility today so nylon fiber seems to be about as coarse as is readily available -- but it is a shorter and thinner fiber than the original. FlockIt carries nylon fiber in several colors as well as the tinted cement used to hold the fibers. You can look thru install instructions there too.https://www.flockit.com

Attach file:

jpg  trunk.jpg (86.13 KB)
209_6121a7a482f41.jpg 1210X424 px

Posted on: 2021/8/21 20:27
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Spencer B. wrote: Ahead of you on this one :)....
Spencer,

You sure are, normally I check before I make my request, my fault. I did see your entry earlier and responded to it in Post #895 in this thread.

Posted on: 2021/8/21 20:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
No worries, I figured that should be the first step before I started picking people’s brains here. I’m pretty new to the hobby so it’s really helpful to get this info from people more experienced with these cars.

Posted on: 2021/8/21 22:17
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Thank you, I really appreciate all of this information, it seems like a good starting point. The trunk is one of the last places that we haven’t gotten back to (near) original shape so I’m trying to gather info to get it started.

Posted on: 2021/8/21 22:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Depending on condition, the asphalt material on the body was painted over and seems to harden and flake off if it rusts from below.
It's very difficult to remove, if adhered, and they used it inside the body, in unsuspecting areas, and creates a fire hazard, if welding.
3M makes rubberized undercoatings that more or less do the same thing. You can get a rough appearance through application techniques.
In the '60-70s I used fibred roofing tar to coat/waterproof the pans, etc. but it takes along time to dry. You can spray stuff like that if you have the right gun.
Now they make these heat and sound products, like lizardskin, etc for this.
I usually buy a roll of rubber flooring mat and cut to size, for the work area, easier to clean. But they make and sell "trunk lining" fiber mat in different colors if you want that look. Just google.

Posted on: 2021/8/22 7:58
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Spencer B.
See User information
Great info, thank you Fish’n Jim!

Posted on: 2021/8/23 19:56
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved