Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

Miguel Gallego, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Trunk lining materials, convertible boot (‘54 convertible)
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Spencer B. - Don't know how accurately you want your trunk to be, but I had most satisfying results using indoor-outdoor carpet from Lowe's.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_0023.jpeg (48.29 KB)
565_61265bd0de1aa.jpeg 640X480 px

jpeg  IMG_0024.jpeg (47.83 KB)
565_61265be9d6fe3.jpeg 640X480 px

jpeg  IMG_0027.jpeg (36.31 KB)
565_61265bfc20636.jpeg 480X640 px

Posted on: 2021/8/25 10:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I followed JWL's lead and did the same to my trunk. Cheap, easy and really cleaned up the trunk space. I elected not to cover the wheel wells, but I might go back and do that. Yes it's not original, but I'm okay with it.

-Kevin

Attach file:

jpg  Trunk driver side panel.jpg (158.07 KB)
1059_6126751592cfd.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  Trunk passenger side panel.jpg (162.36 KB)
1059_61267553248da.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2021/8/25 11:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
I have the same issue with my 1949 deluxe cruising sedan. Currently,it has what appears to be a kit of brown ruglike material.Been trying to find a new kit,but no luck.If you resolve this problem plz post so that I can do the same.thx, Bear.

Posted on: 2021/8/30 7:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bear wrote:
I have the same issue with my 1949 deluxe cruising sedan. Currently,it has what appears to be a kit of brown ruglike material.Been trying to find a new kit,but no luck.If you resolve this problem plz post so that I can do the same.thx, Bear.

I don't believe you will find anyone offering trunk kits for Packards as postwar, the factory supplied only a very thin coarse textured mat which covered most of the floor surface. There is a possibility full carpet covering was offered on 21st and maybe 22nd series Custom models but so far there seems to be no documentation found stating specifics. For the others, have not even seen a repro mat offered.

Starting with the 17th series, the first mention of the flocking treatment for the remainder of the trunk was noted in service letter Vol 12 #21. The typical result is shown and described in the piece from the 54 fact book I posted a few days ago at post #5. Postwar at least, the separation from the rear seat was only a piece of heavy black cardboard that, depending on model, was either plain or embossed on the visible side. For the 55-56 models they did finally do a fully removable wall and floor covering in a combination of patterned cardboard and a heavy padded vinyl like mat material.

For your 49, if you do not want to try the flocking, covering with the indoor-outdoor carpet you do yourself is probably as good and and inexpensive a treatment you will be able to find. Hirsch Auto may still carry a coarse hogshair carpet material for trunks which would be more authentic looking but again it is only bulk material and you would need to do the work yourself or find an upholsterer to do any cutting and fitting.

For your year I believe a shade of brown or tan would be more appropriate than the grey JWL used for the later model. Lowes and Amazon have some indoor-outdoor carpet materials in various brown shades.

Posted on: 2021/8/30 10:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved