Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

Ozstatman, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

53 Clipper No Reserve Ending 6 days
Home away from home
Home away from home

johntrhodes81
See User information

Posted on: 2021/8/24 19:34
John Rhodes

1953 Packard Patrician
 Top  Print   

Re: 53 Clipper No Reserve Ending 6 days
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
The head says 288

Posted on: 2021/8/25 10:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning...It seems to me that some folks changed the heads in order to obtain additional compression. It could also mean that the original head was damaged in some way...smarter folks than I will comment...Ernie in Arizona

Posted on: 2021/8/25 12:02
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I will not sign-up for Ernie’s last caveat of who might respond . . .

’53 Clipper ‘Standard’ Touring Sedan = 288 . . . . ‘Standard’ was added by me to emphasize the two different trims available.

’53 Clipper ‘Deluxe’ Touring Sedan = 327

The car in question has the side trim of the ‘standard’, and is not equipped with the rear fender ‘fins’ as found on the Deluxe. I would say the car is a ‘standard’ Touring Sedan and would be originally configured with a 288, however you’re only a crankshaft and connecting rod set away from a 327, perhaps via short block with the original head, or the lad is confused, or the lad is trying to maximize the sale price.

Posted on: 2021/8/25 12:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The manual shift with even the 288 would make this a better performer than the leisurely pace with Ultramatic. One of our region long-time Packard drivers swears by the 288 and stick since it is a shorter stroke engine, it takes higher revs in stride. Admitted one of his first Packards was a 200 with 288 out of which he 'beat the snot' and it took it.

Adding an overdrive would also make this drive even nicer. No relay is visible on the firewall, but anyone interested in bidding should question the seller if the car is overdrive equipped.

Good luck, hope it sells to a new appreciative owner, one who signs on here.

Steve

Posted on: 2021/8/25 15:28
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved