Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 147

acolds, Packard Newbie, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1936 - 1401 - std 8 - oil pressure / cooler question
Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
Hi all,

So in my infinite wisdom, I've decided to remove the oil cooler and welded a piece of curved pipe to the inside of the oil cooler cover. I also replaced the oil filter and changed the oil and now I have no oil pressure - zero ...

So my question is does anyone know whether the oil cooler has an effect on oil pressure. I'm starting to think that the restricted flow through the cooler might and by me allowing it to flow freely through a 1/2" diameter pipe I 'broke' it.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Crin

Posted on: 2021/9/13 8:30
 Top  Print 

Re: 1936 - 1401 - std 8 - oil pressure / cooler question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yes, the cooler (and full-flow filter) is in series between the pump output and the engine oil galleries.

Posted on: 2021/9/13 9:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
So by me allowing the oil to free flow (bypass the filter) it's affecting the oil pressure? Just want to make sure I fully understand this before I break something else... Lol

Thanks
Crin

Posted on: 2021/9/13 9:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Crin, it's easy - just follow the oil flow. Pump output exits the block at the pressure relief valve, thru the cooler and filter, and returns to the block again. The relief valve has dual relief systems, the primary one to regulate the maximum output pressure (set to 55 max) and the secondary one to bypass the filter/cooler loop should the filter clog.

And just what is it that you are trying to accomplish? And maybe you can explain your modifications more clearly, perhaps with some pix.

Posted on: 2021/9/13 13:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
OK new question -

I think it's my oil pump. I think it gave out. I removed the oil pressure regulator and started the engine and I expected to see a strong stream of oil come out the side of the block. I didn't see anything other than a small trickle of oil.

Would you agree that it's the pump? And if so, who rebuilds these?

Thanks again,
Crin

Posted on: 2021/9/13 14:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Well, if somehow the flow from the pump was completely blocked off it is possible for pump pressure to blow a hole in the crankcase. That can happen using heavy oils in very cold weather as well.

I would start by seeing if you can blow through the external plumbing that you modified. I don't know what kind of filter is on the engine, but they aren't supposed to flow backwards.

I know those coolers can be a problem, but usually after excessive oil pressure damage. I remember Billy Hirsch had a 34 Su8 and they thought that the higher the oil pressure the better and they blew the thing up with the resulting oil spraying out of the radiator cap.

The V-12 units are far more robust. Packard was learning.

If the plumbing is clear in the proper direction, the pump can be tested on the bench. Just pour some oil in it and start turning the shaft. It should spray out.

Posted on: 2021/9/13 15:45
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is there any kind of a pin only arrangement holding the cam gear and pump shaft together or is it one piece or somehow keyed?

Not familiar with the plumbing between the pump and relief valve or the valve operation but If the output was blocked possibly excess force needed to turn the pump or open the relief valve could have caused a pin to shear.

Posted on: 2021/9/13 16:03
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

LOL
See User information
I'm just now getting ready to pull the pan off the car. Got a newly rebuilt pump ordered from Max Merritt so off I go ... what are the odds that the day I decide to make some major mods to the car is the day the pump goes out on me ...

Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it.

Posted on: 2021/9/13 16:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Slightly off this subject but maybe a place for an answer.
I posted pictures and details of a replacement filter for the 39:Packard six but a comment by Tim Cole on this post raises a question that I would like answered before I fire my engine.
The lines for the original disposable filter on the 39 both were located on the bottom of the canister.
The new canister for the drop in flitter has one port on the bottom and one on the side.
I ran the higher fitting on the block to the upper fitting on the the filter.
If this is backwards and could affect filtering or oil pressure…simple to reverse lines

Attach file:

jpeg  896BDE73-A624-4D57-B09D-ACE39A30F831.jpeg (228.19 KB)
3810_613fc4fff047d.jpeg 1440X1920 px

jpeg  7A20BF09-D208-4321-86EE-ADCBF0B40D4B.jpeg (228.19 KB)
3810_613fc54df2f27.jpeg 1440X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/9/13 16:40
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved