Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Differentials
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
I could probably do the research, but I seem to be short on time of late and you lot seem to be of a helpful spirit, so I thought I'd (humble myself and) ask. I do have plenty of time to overthink things, however. It's part of my charm.

So, rear ends. I have '47 Clippers mostly. I would reckon that those are likely the same as the 22 and 23 series, too. Question: how about the 24s? In other words, would a set of high speed Ultramatic gears from a '51 fit the 21 series pumpkin?

I think that would be a slick mod, or am I in left field?

Posted on: 2021/9/14 5:21
If you're not having fun, maybe it's your own damned fault.
 Top  Print 

Re: Differentials
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
'51-'52 pumpkins will fit into Clipper junior axle housings, but not Supers. But that still only gives a 3.54.

With the usual 4.1 and overdrive you are running the equivalent of 2.95. Unless you drive exclusively on the great plains, you don't want anything taller than that.

Posted on: 2021/9/14 7:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
So, at a reduction of about 72% for the o/d, with a 3.54, that would give a final ratio of approximately 2.55. And the things only have 15" wheels.

(2.95)/(4.1) = .7195 * 3.54 = 2.547

I'm still wondering.

Posted on: 2021/9/14 19:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
Here's one way to look at it:

Let's say your car originally came with 8.00-15 tires. Use the Vintage Tire Size Conversion Chart:

https://tengtoolsusa.com/blogs/news/vintage-tire-size-conversion-chart

So let's say you have 225/75 R15 tires on there now. Use the tire size calculator:

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

Those tires are therefore 28.3" diameter, 713 Revs/Mile. Which means at 60 mph, the rear wheel will be spinning at 713 rpm.

Now you say you have an effective ratio of 2.55:1 including the diff ratio and the overdrive. So you get at 60 mph the engine is spinning at 2.55*713 = 1818 RPM

I don't know what the "best" engine speed at 60 mph would be for your engine, but that's only about 3 times idle speed - probably about right.

The Packard 300/400 in 1953 with the Ultramatic had 3.54 gears on there, so they would be spinning 2500 RPM, which is a bit high.

Posted on: 2021/9/14 21:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
And at 65, it would be (65/60) * 2.55 * 713 = 1969 RPM.

At 70 MPH, it would be (70/60) * 2.55 * 713 = 2121 RPM

My truck turns just about 2K at 70 MPH, and it's the gutless 6 banger model. The big SUV does likewise. and the little SUV turns maybe 2.1K at 70. Not ideal in WV but pretty good in most of VA and KY and running the Eastern Seaboard (I-95), and so on.

I'm still thinking about a 6-speed Tremec for one of these critters, but that's way down the road and TBD. That would be with something much closer to a 4 in the third member.

Posted on: 2021/9/15 4:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Maybe this is a better option for you:

https://www.gearvendors.com/restorationclassic.html

Posted on: 2021/9/15 7:03
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wat_Tyler
See User information
Yeah . . . no . . . I don't know.

Good thing I don't have to figure this out this week.

The gears were cheap (I think). They'll be here in a few days.

Posted on: 2021/9/15 18:33
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved