Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
38 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 37

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

trunk upholstery kit
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

bear
See User information
Im looking for an upholstery kit for my 1949delux touring sedan.Any leads would be appreciated. THX

Posted on: 2021/9/18 14:00
 Top  Print 

Re: trunk upholstery kit
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I think your trunk was originally paint and flock, not upholstered. Rustoleum Smoke Gray was a good match to color that was in my 49 (22nd) Eight.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 14:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Per some of the sales data books, the original finish was apparently a fairly coarse rayon fiber flocking applied over an asphalt based sound deadening material on the sides extending down to and then a bit on the floor. Don't believe the trunks had any flocking on the floor center but do not know that for fact because the flocking does wear off easily. The floors did have a fairly thin coarse or rough finish hogshair mat over most of the floor surface. If no flocking on the floor, then the surface metal was probably primed or maybe painted under the mat. I was under the impression prior to 51 the trunks were more brown and tan shades but if bkazmer has a trunk still in good enough shape to see a grayish color that is the best reference there is.

Rayon flock in any fiber size similar to the coarseness of the original is not to be found in small quantity but there is a nylon fiber that, while still a finer fiber, will suffice. If you are thinking of trying to go with the original flock finish and wanted to check out colors and procedure, FlockIt has some charts of what is available.https://www.flockit.com

Hirsch Autohttps://www.hirschauto.com/specialcarpet.htm has some hogshair carpet for the mat and if it is not too thick the carpet might also be suitable for the sides rather than the flocking if you wanted to go all out.

There are several who have used thin and relatively inexpensive outdoor carpet available at Lowes or HomeDepot to finish off their trunks -- both sides and floor. There are some photos of the efforts in other threads on the forum. The trunks finished with the outdoor carpet are quite presentable.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 15:01
Howard
 Top  Print 
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I can't say for 100% that it had never been repainted, but traces of sound deadening and flock were still there. Packard did not in general do fancy trunk trimming on Juniors.

The front floor still has the rubber mat, not carpet.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 18:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I’m assuming bear’s question was for an upholstery ‘kit’ for the seats, door panels, and carpet . . . not necessarily limited to trunk finishes.
dp

Posted on: 2021/9/18 20:17
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I’m assuming bear’s question was for an upholstery ‘kit’ for the seats, door panels, and carpet . . . not necessarily limited to trunk finishes.

Going by the title of the post I assumed it was only the trunk being asked about. If not, I am fairly confident in saying that unless SMShttps://smsautofabrics.com is willing to make one there are no premade off the shelf upholstery kits for Packards available.

IIRC, another poster said he had inquired about the Kanter kit that was made with generic modern materials and found it is no longer being offered. SMS sent out a notice not long ago that said new orders for door panels were being put on hold until they worked thru their backorders but other services were still available. Not sure what the "other services" entail but there are also several who have said the wait times for SMS to ship their orders is long.

I believe SMS will make headliners but I don't know for sure if they also do complete upholstery or trunk kits or just sell the material. For most upholstery it has been to order material from SMS and have the seats and door panels done by a local shop.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 21:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
HH56, I did get a bit confused between bear’s topic title and the use of the word ‘kit’ in the text, and if that’s the only thing that confuses me today I’m good with that. I thought the Eight Deluxe trunk finish was a single rubber mat . . . just something to cover the steel and protect the luggage, but I must admit I might be influenced by the front mat used in the Eight. I did notice two items in the parts catalog; one, the Custom used a different part number trunk mat, likely an upgrade to something closer to carpet, and two, Club Sedans used two separate part numbers labeled left and right. OK, confusion is setting in again. I’m looking at group 31.1502 & 31.1503.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 22:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the trunk sides were flocked on all models since about 37 or 38 thru 54 but will concede the possibility of a rubber trunk mat on the lowest end models. As you and others have said, they did go cheap in the trunk and if the car was bare bones with a rubber mat for the front seat probably the trunk mat was too.

Not sure where the Deluxe would fit since it did have a few more standard interior upgrade features than the lowest model. Definitely hogshair mats on the higher end models and there are some photos of 47 and 48 Customs that had well made full carpet linings that maybe could have been a factory option.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 23:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The trunk of my formerly owned 21st series (1947) Custom Super Clipper is finished with carpeting. It covers the sides and floor. Appears to be the same wool material as is on the interior floors, sans the foam rubber backing. It appears to be original to the car. Maybe the current owner can shed more info on this.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 11:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
JWL’s information is consistent with the perception/assumption that the senior car trunks were finished with up-graded materials, that is, carpet v. rubber mat. I must admit my rubber mat assumption may have been a figment of my imagination knowing the ’48 Eight front mat material and GM’s use of rubber mats a few years later in their ‘lesser’ product lines. By the time I bought my ’48 Deluxe the trunk had been media blasted, repainted low gloss black, and dark gray/black thin trunk carpeting glued in . . . over every surface, save the spare wheel well. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen original 22-23 series trunk finishes. The only ‘stuff’ left in my ’54 trunk was the three piece ‘tar paper’ first layer for the flat surface, two ‘ropes’, a flattened jack box playing the role of a trunk mat, and a lot of flocking lying about.

I guess bear should follow bkazmer’s advice of flocking the surfaces that are not the ‘floor’, and HH56’s advice on a center mat. I know when I looked real close to the flocking on my ’54 the material was not a single color, more of a blend, but I’m not sure if ’48 flocking was a single color material. I bet after a few years the color of the adhesive was obvious. If flocking is not on the horizon the finish should present with almost no ‘shine’, quite subdued.

From the parts catalog there’s an impression that the trunk color did not vary with paint code . . . other than the incidental over spray, so the flocking and mat may have been from the same family, but not necessarily matching colors. Given the color of my fender ‘ropes’, and the flock residue the ’54 trunk finishes likely presented with a brown/tan hue in that time period, which is quite consistent with HH56’s information that ’51 cars had the same color presentation. The observation made by bkazmer is the ’48 – ’50 cars likely presented as a gray hue.

Bear, if you jump to page 44 in KPack’s 1954 Panama project blog you will see various ‘non-OEM’ trunk presentations. My experience is the in-door / out-door carpet from Home Depot would need a lot of help to bend around tight radii, and if you were successful, outside bends would expose a ‘different’ texture. Thinner non-pile material does not have that restriction.

Another project blog to look at is Joe’s ’49 Club Sedan around page 8, where Joe shared his idea/method to add upholstery elements to the trunk lid. I shamelessly stole that one, but did not back the material and just glued the magnets to the carpet and allowed the fabric fit the curved contour of the lid. I also use magnets to hold the fender upholstery . . . very little glue.

I think the bottom line is that your quest to find a truck refinishing kit may not be successful, but you can get real close to OEM standards by buying the materials individually, but you can equally go crazy back there.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 14:01
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved