Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

640 Battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Anyone have a recommendation for a battery for a 640 Packard?

Posted on: 2021/9/18 15:56
 Top  Print 

Re: 640 Battery
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A Group 4 Commercial (lead/acid) from NAPA is my recommendation. IIRC a Group 4 was the OEM battery for your car. I've used the NAPA Grp 4 Commercial in my '34 Packard almost forever, gobs of CCA, long-lived, no problems.

Posted on: 2021/9/18 16:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
I just finished the restoration of the big model 645 straight 8 and used the Optima 6 volt car battery (Optima Batteries OPT8010-044 6V RedTop Starting Battery). It has 800 amps of cranking power and you don't have to worry about corrosion. It cranked those brand new piston rings like nobody's business, but it also cost just over $200. I know guys that use them exclusively and they last about 6 years. It's worth the money for me to not have to worry about the corrosion issue. You can get a really slick trickle charger on ***zon for about $30.00 that also works as a trickle charger for 12 volt batteries. (NOCO GENIUS1, 1-Amp Fully-Automatic Smart Charger, 6V and 12V Battery Charger, Battery Maintainer, Trickle Charger, and Battery Desulfator with Temperature Compensation). That setup has worked well for me

Posted on: 2021/9/18 17:21
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Odd Moen
See User information
I`m using 6V lead/acid batteries. Batteries where I have the possibility to refill water and control the status of the battery cells. My batteries last for at least 6 years, and it`s only a question about maintaining the batteries.
I`m using a 165Ah, 6V battery, one of the largest you can get in Europe (EU.165-6V Exide Vintage). They will completely the space of the battery box.
Could start current capacity is 900A.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 3:40
633 Touring
640 Roadster
640 Phaeton
1104 Club Sedan
Odd Moen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a 6V battery I have been using to troubleshoot the electrical system(new restoration) and can't get the starter to turn over. I have had it checked out and have been told it is good. I seems that it should be pretty simple as it is a straight shot from the battery to the starter switch and then the starter. Took the switch apart and cleaned it (again), so that is not the problem.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 17:23
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If switch is good, how about one of the brushes. I have seen worn brushes that got a tad too short so spring could not move them tightly against the commutator and also brush holders that got jammed for whatever reason and could not move a brush into contact.

Posted on: 2021/9/19 18:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
You may want to have that starter examined by a pro. When I restored mine, it turns out that the coil wrappings had frayed so the whole thing was shorting out against the case. A guy in Sacramento went through it and replaced the wrappings and cleaned up the commutator. Works like a charm now, but there are lots of places they can short out, especially after 90 years.

Posted on: 2021/9/20 16:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Another vote for the Optima 6 volt dry cell battery here. I'm about to replace the battery in mine and that's what I'm going with. Have used them in several muscle cars before, fantastic batteries, and again, as stated, since they're dry-cell batteries, no corrosion issues, ever.

Also, on all my old cars I put a kill switch somewhere inline so that you can shut off the battery when they car's going to be parked for a few days. This will greatly extend the life of the battery and buy you a lot of peace of mind that you're not going to have an electrical meltdown due to something shorting out in the middle of the night. I had a 440 Six Pack Challenger convertible years ago, and hadn't driven it in days, got home one day decided to take it for a drive and everything was dead - all the wiring around the alternator going back to the firewall was fried - miracle the car hadn't caught fire. I've used those switches ever since!

Posted on: 2021/9/21 9:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I bought a Duracell 6V battery from Bulbs and Batteries and found it to be adequate for an 826. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2021/9/21 16:14
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved