Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
23 user(s) are online (17 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 22

Jim in Boone, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1931 Shock Links
Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
I had my shocks rebuilt by Apple and went about cleaning up the shock links and other hardware. My question is if there is any guidance about how tight the endcaps of the links should screw in to the ends to secure the balls. Is it safe to assume to get it it tight and snug, but not so tight that the link won't articulate?

Posted on: 2021/9/26 6:13
 Top  Print 

Re: 1931 Shock Links
Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
I would think that sounds reasonable. I don't think Packard had any torque specs on the shock bolts or linkage. How did Apple do? Having shock problems myself!

Posted on: 2021/9/27 9:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I had Apple rebuild the lever type shocks on my non-Packard. This was not an inexpensive job and cost about as much as a set of replica new replacements. I decided to have the old ones rebuilt as they were replica new replacements and did not last before starting to leak. It took him about six weeks after receiving the shocks to start the work. Small shop, one or two people and lots of business. I recommend Apple.

Posted on: 2021/9/27 11:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1929PackardGuy
See User information
Just spoke with Lazaar (I believe that was his name) at Apple about my shocks - super nice and took the time to analyze my problem over the phone. My car's rump is in the air because the shocks are simply frozen and locked in position. It did sit on jackstands for a good many years in the last decade and that, he correctly surmised based on the fact that the shock arms do not move at all, caused the shocks to lock into place with the axle hanging down, and thus, my car sits like it has air shocks on it.

He told me to take the connecting arms off, let the car sit down on its springs, then I could put the arms back on just for appearance sake but they're not going to do much until they are rebuilt, but, at least my ride will greatly improve and perhaps it may even free them up - if not, they'll go off to him this winter for rebuilding.

I asked him if there were any torque specs for any parts of the rear shocks on these cars (mine is a '29), and he said as far as he knew, there weren't. So, hopefully that helps the OP as well.

Posted on: 2021/9/27 13:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
It was an emotionally jarring experience stroking the check to Apple to cover the cost of 4 rebuilt shocks at $445 per shock. BUT, a necessary one as in the three years of Packard ownership I've only seen a pair of front shocks for a 30/31 come up for sale once on Ebay. I didn't want to merely clean up what I had, see them leak everywhere and possibly damage them to the point of rendering them useless.

Assuming your shocks are like mine, to get the link off, you'll have to remove a cotter pin off each end of the link. Then you'll have to unscrew a plug on each end to release the tension on each adjoining ball joint. I removed the ball joints on the shock side by using a Harbor Freight ball joint separator. Be sure to place a towel over the works as I launched one of my balls about 30 feet when it separated. I soaked my links in Purple Power for a day, then disassembled, removed the decades-old grease, cleaned, painted everything etc. The original seals where the balls connect to the link look they were some sore of rubberized felt, about 3/16" thick. For $.99, I found a sheet of foam about the size of a piece of paper and about 5mm thick from Michaels Arts and Crafts, that seems like a perfect substitute. Its rigid but flexible, and compressible to seal everything good. I tested the foam to make sure it is grease resistant and it seems like it'll work.

Posted on: 2021/9/27 16:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Greenfield
See User information
PS - the job that Apple did looks good. I've used them in the past and have a very good impression of the quality of their work. The only other shop I found that advised they were up to rebuild my shocks (Delco Lovejoy Duodraulic) was A1 Shock Absorber Company who wanted a little more than what Apple was charging. Being on the east coast, I just decided I'd stick with Apple.

Posted on: 2021/9/27 16:08
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
I had the 4 shocks for my 640 rebuilt by Apple. They seemed to do a good job overall, but I found that the reservoirs had a lot of grunge still in them when I got them back.

Posted on: 2021/11/1 15:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
They rebuilt a master brake cylinder for me that was specific to the ‘50s Henney-Packard commercial coaches and very hard to find. This one was very, very rough so I was quite surprised that they were able to rebuild it at all, much less to make it look so nice in the process. Yes it was expensive but I would recommend them too.

Posted on: 2021/11/1 21:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
I have a full set of shocks, arms and links for a 29, selling for a friend. They're all done and painted but I don't know how long ago. Send me a message if you need them and we'll figure it out.

Posted on: 2021/11/3 12:51
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved